Wnr834bv2 - how do I kick a wireless connection?

karossii

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I have the Netgear wnr834b v 2 router. Due to a funky laptop that my roommate has with some very odd connection issues, and a wireless network printer with different but just as wonky connection issues, I have removed all security from the router.

> The laptop can sometimes connect with security, but only if it is WEP (and only sometimes).

> The printer cannot connect with anything but WPA-PSK [TKIP]... and it is much, much, MUCH slower if I enable it.

So, I did what I thought was the next best thing, renamed the network to a very long and unwieldy name, and stopped broadcasting the network ID - so only those who know the network name and to look for it can connect.

In theory.

But I regularly get leechers who seem to find it and connect anyway.

Since I do have several (more than a dozen) friends who can be in and out with laptops, setting MAC restrictions doesn't seem to be the best solution either.

So, for now, I would be satisfied if I could figure out how to disconnect and/or ban certain wireless connections when I see them. I went through all of the options I could find in the router's manager page (192.168.1.1), but nothing seems to let me kick someone off the wireless.

Any help?

karossii

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Well, I do have Win7 on my PC - but my PC is the one and only hardwired to the router, and not on wireless. The laptop that has major issues connecting is a WinXP machine... and it works fine on wireless B networks, but on G or N, it has security issues - as long as there is no security, it runs fine on a G/N network. If there is security, it works about half the time on a G, and about 20% of the time on an N. Since that roommate is paying half the internet bill, I have to accommodate him!

And aside from that, the printer is the secondary issue, and while it can work with security on, it is very noticeably slower to spool up a job with security on... to the point where we all prefer to just leave it off...

So for now I just want to be able to check on the wireless connections whenever it slows down, and boot (and possibly 'ban') anyone I don't think should be connected... is that possible?

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Some other things to try...

I would check the firmware on the wnr834b v 2 router, and update it if there is a new version for it.

Also I would change the channel on the router, if other devices are broadcasting on that channel this can cause alot of "weird" events to happen...

To remove pc's on the network that shouldn't be there you will need to log into the router and ban the MAC address if that is an option. Or you could create an IP reservation for everyone, then limit the amount of IP addresses you lease. example: 5 pc's are on the network, reserve each one, and only allow 5 addresses to be leased...