good indoor 4-5mp digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 19, 2005 7:39:10 PM

I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor shots
usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the past
couple of years on all the settings and have never been satisfied with
shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is right for the shot,
you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning it's going to come out
blurry.
Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take good,
bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon. Thanks.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:39:11 PM

Neal wrote:
> I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
> Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor shots
> usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the past
> couple of years on all the settings and have never been satisfied with
> shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is right for the shot,
> you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning it's going to come out
> blurry.
> Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
> up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take good,
> bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon. Thanks.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon, but consider that indoor
shots with a P&S camera are always going to have a limitation. In order
to keep the size of the camera within certain ranges, the power of the
flash, and the distance of the flash from the lens, are limited. Since
the flash can put out only so much light, the lens can gather only so
much light in so much time. The longer the exposure, the greater the
problem with blur, and the shorter the exposure, the greater the problem
with noise. Combine those factors with high pixel count, or use of zoom
for composition, and the result can be dark, and/or noisy pictures.

So, IF you really want good indoor pictures, then buy a camera in the
4-6 mp range and a socket, or 'hotshoe' for an external flash, and use
that for indoor pictures if the internal flash doesn't do the job. Read
the reviews regarding low light, and indoor, pictures, and select a
model that will allow you to use external flash. Flexibility and a good
lens are usually more important than the difference between, say 4 and 5
mp.
And, when all is said and done, buy a good photo editor like PSE3 or PS
CS to fix the problems you may still have with the new camera.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
May 19, 2005 7:39:11 PM

Used Nikon 5000 bodies are only about $200.
They're a little slow to snap, but @ 5MP
they're really a good bargain these days.

Collin *istDS Brendemuehl
:)
May 19, 2005 9:32:47 PM

Pity all of them were withdrawn from sale about a week after release.
'Unspecified problems...' I liked the way they said the fauilt only
affected a very small number, but they recalled EVERYTHING. Doesn't
take a genius.

Another Foveon Flop!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05041802wwl_x530recal...
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 10:25:16 PM

"Neal" <pissed@comcast.net> wrote:

> I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
> Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor
> shots usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the
> past couple of years on all the settings and have never been
> satisfied with shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is
> right for the shot, you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning
> it's going to come out blurry.
> Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
> up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take
> good, bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon.

Before you totally dismiss fuji have you seen the F10 which has selectable
ISO of 80-1600. I've only had mine a couple weeks but have taken some quite
good indoor shots at 800 & 1600 ISO. There is a review & sample shots here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/page10....
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:30:04 AM

Regarding the recalled Polaroid 530.. george said:

>It will ship again before the end of this summer.
>(mine works perfectly)

Why didn't you mention the recall and the fact you *can't* buy one,
George?

Post some samples, or thsoe are just words. Full-res samples with
skintones.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:03:11 AM

"Neal" <pissed@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
> Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor shots
> usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the past
> couple of years on all the settings and have never been satisfied with
> shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is right for the shot,
> you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning it's going to come out
> blurry.
> Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
> up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take good,
> bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon. Thanks.

If you mean good indoor shots _without flash_, the P&S cameras can't do
that. The cheapest camera that can would be the Canon 300D with the 50/1.8
lens. But that's way over your budget (and if you are going to spend that
much, you should spend a bit more and get the 350D; the 300D suggestion was
just to minimize cost). And with either of those, you'd probably want the
Tamron 28-75/2.8 lens. And now you're really over budget.

You might look for the older Sony F717, since it has a fast lens. But it's
still pretty funky at ISO 400. (The newer sensors have improved performance,
but those improvements have all been applied to (wasted on, IMHO) making
smaller pixels. Even the low-MP cameras use tiny sensors and tiny pixels.
And most P&S cameras nowadays have grossly slow lenses.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:18:52 AM

Neal <pissed@comcast.net> wrote in

> Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to
> spend up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to
> take good, bright shots indoors.

Polaroid makes a very nice 4.5 megapixel compact that uses a Foveon
sensor. It is the only non-DSLR model available with this sensor and
it produces better images than any 5-8 megapixel camera on the market.

http://dcviews.com/press/Polaroid-x530.htm
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:37:21 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote in

> Pity all of them were withdrawn from sale about a week after release.
> 'Unspecified problems...' I liked the way they said the fauilt only
> affected a very small number, but they recalled EVERYTHING. Doesn't
> take a genius.

It will ship again before the end of this summer.

(mine works perfectly)
May 20, 2005 6:37:22 AM

"George Preddy" <george.preddy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> chrlz@go.com wrote in
>
>> Pity all of them were withdrawn from sale about a week after release.
>> 'Unspecified problems...' I liked the way they said the fauilt only
>> affected a very small number, but they recalled EVERYTHING. Doesn't
>> take a genius.
>
> It will ship again before the end of this summer.
>
> (mine works perfectly)

You wouldn't have a clue of what "works perfectly" means...
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:44:43 AM

George Preddy <george.preddy@gmail.com> writes:

>Polaroid makes a very nice 4.5 megapixel compact that uses a Foveon
>sensor. It is the only non-DSLR model available with this sensor and
>it produces better images than any 5-8 megapixel camera on the market.

Misinformation. It's a 1.5 megapixel camera, and might take images
comparable to other 1.5-2 MP cameras under some conditions. Hardly
in the same ballpark as 4 MP cameras.

Dave
May 20, 2005 12:01:04 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:39:10 GMT, Neal <pissed@comcast.net> wrote:

>I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
>Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor shots
>usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the past
>couple of years on all the settings and have never been satisfied with
>shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is right for the shot,
>you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning it's going to come out
>blurry.
>Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
>up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take good,
>bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon. Thanks.

I won't recommend a particular model but I'd stick with either Canon
or Nikon. I believe they are the most popular brands. Personally I'm
biased toward Canon but either will probably be fine. See some
photography review sites to see which models suites your needs and
values. Some of those popular sites will review other brands and
models too.
May 20, 2005 12:15:23 PM

I agree. The F10 is THE indoor low light no-flash non-DSLR small camera.

"Adrian Boliston" <adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Neal" <pissed@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I've finally had it with my Fuji FinePix A303....it's going on eBay.
>> Pictures taken outside on bright sunny days look great, but indoor
>> shots usually stink. I've taken hundreds of photos with this over the
>> past couple of years on all the settings and have never been
>> satisfied with shots indoors. On the setting when the lighting is
>> right for the shot, you always get the "hand" on the lcd....meaning
>> it's going to come out blurry.
>> Anyways, I need a recommendation for a 4-5 mp camera (willing to spend
>> up to $400) with my number one priority being the ability to take
>> good, bright shots indoors. NO Fuji.....I'm leaning towards a Canon.
>
> Before you totally dismiss fuji have you seen the F10 which has selectable
> ISO of 80-1600. I've only had mine a couple weeks but have taken some
> quite good indoor shots at 800 & 1600 ISO. There is a review & sample
> shots here:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/page10....

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:07:41 PM

>> Post some samples, or thsoe are just words. Full-res samples with
>> skintones.
>
>I have a test unit from the manufacturer and I am not supposed to put
> any samples on the web.

Oh really? Yes, very believable. That would almost be funny, if you
weren't a moron.

Here's a clue. When trolling, STOP posting when your bluff is called,
or you just make *even more* of a fool of yourself, like you just did
then.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:42:11 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote in

> Regarding the recalled Polaroid 530.. george said:
>
>>It will ship again before the end of this summer.
>>(mine works perfectly)
>
> Why didn't you mention the recall and the fact you *can't* buy one,
> George?

A significant number of units were sold before the recall. The model
will ship again by the end of this summer.

> Post some samples, or thsoe are just words. Full-res samples with
> skintones.

I have a test unit from the manufacturer and I am not supposed to put
any samples on the web.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:51:35 AM

On 20 May 2005 20:42:11 +0200, George Preddy wrote:

> A significant number of units were sold before the recall. The model
> will ship again by the end of this summer.
>
>> Post some samples, or thsoe are just words. Full-res samples with
>> skintones.
>
> I have a test unit from the manufacturer and I am not supposed to put
> any samples on the web.

There can be no restriction on people that purchased the x530
prior to the recall from putting samples on the web. Why were you
prohibited from doing so unless the images the x530 creates are fair
to poor? In any case you have an alternative. You could upload a
few pictures to a binary newsgroup instead of placing them on the
web. They'd expire after a few days or weeks, preventing Sigma's
reputation from further damage after they disappear.

I must say, though, that I find it hard to believe you're really a
fan of Sigma products. Were I the CEO of Sigma, I'd try to have you
abducted and put into service as a crash test dummy, for all the
(not so) good will you're generating for the company.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:11:49 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote in

> Oh really? Yes, very believable.

I have the unit right here in front of me. Its a great little digicam,
for what it is.
!