Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Boots, hdd makes start sounds, but wont get past bios splash screen

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 31, 2012 5:20:23 PM

hey guys, in need of a lil help.

Mobo: ASrock extreme3 gen 3
Graphics card: HIS iceQ radeon 6450
Power supply: Allied 500W 80+ certified
standard dvd RW drive
320GB not really sure but i believe its WD, 7200 rpm( i know a big :non:  :non:  ) but its going through a startup repair at the moment so can't really take it out to get the right make and model. my bad.

i installed the mobo, pcu, and the ram on a breadboard test run... everything went fine.... installed mobo into the case, installed the hdd, the dvd drive, and all connector cables are in the right places. and before anyone asks... yes it is plugged into the wall. :lol:  but it still wont get past the BIOS splash screen. i have installed the hdd into the old rig i got it from and it works great, starts up with no problems and gets me to desktop. but installed into the new rig... argh its just driving me nuts.
January 31, 2012 5:23:15 PM

sorry for the second thread about this, but i thought this one would be a lil more informative.
Score
0

Best solution

January 31, 2012 5:27:23 PM

You'll probably need to reformat and reinstall your OS in order to get it to work properly. You always need to do that when moving hard drives between systems due to driver conflicts and things of that nature.
Share
Related resources
January 31, 2012 5:31:49 PM

Best answer selected by Maskwind.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 5:34:30 PM

ok, but she has files, games, etc. that she wants to keep and have on the new build. would i have to plug it back into the old rig, back up all files and such, and delete everything?... or how would i do that. and BTW she is running windows Vista SP1 i believe.... and if i have to i'll purchase a windows 7 OS. i know how to build them, its just i recycled the hdd out from my old personal rig... into a pro gaming rig, and all is well on it. kept all my files and such, no need to reformat, or install new drivers or anything. thank you very much for your help.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 5:37:21 PM

and dam, didnt mean to make this thread/issue solved,,, just wanted to give you props for the best answer i got.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 5:58:36 PM

Maskwind said:
ok, but she has files, games, etc. that she wants to keep and have on the new build. would i have to plug it back into the old rig, back up all files and such, and delete everything?... or how would i do that. and BTW she is running windows Vista SP1 i believe.... and if i have to i'll purchase a windows 7 OS. i know how to build them, its just i recycled the hdd out from my old personal rig... into a pro gaming rig, and all is well on it. kept all my files and such, no need to reformat, or install new drivers or anything. thank you very much for your help.


Yes you'll have to plug it back into your old system and back up your data first. You can certainly reuse Windows Vista if you have the disc for it, but you'll have to search the manufacturers' support websites to find the drivers or use the included CDs.

Quote:
and dam, didnt mean to make this thread/issue solved,,, just wanted to give you props for the best answer i got.


No problem, but if this gets locked we can continue this through PM.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 6:09:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yes you'll have to plug it back into your old system and back up your data first. You can certainly reuse Windows Vista if you have the disc for it, but you'll have to search the manufacturers' support websites to find the drivers or use the included CDs.

Quote:
and dam, didnt mean to make this thread/issue solved,,, just wanted to give you props for the best answer i got.


No problem, but if this gets locked we can continue this through PM.


ok, dont have a windows vista boot disk... i was going to upgrade her to a windows 7 home OS. i'm actually about to leave right now to go buy it, but after i back up all of her files, would i just like... highlight all of C:/ drive and delete?... or what?

Score
0
January 31, 2012 6:11:29 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yes you'll have to plug it back into your old system and back up your data first. You can certainly reuse Windows Vista if you have the disc for it, but you'll have to search the manufacturers' support websites to find the drivers or use the included CDs.

Quote:
and dam, didnt mean to make this thread/issue solved,,, just wanted to give you props for the best answer i got.


No problem, but if this gets locked we can continue this through PM.


Maskwind said:
ok, dont have a windows vista boot disk... i was going to upgrade her to a windows 7 home OS. i'm actually about to leave right now to go buy it, but after i back up all of her files, would i just like... highlight all of C:/ drive and delete?... or what?


Yes after backup when you're ready to install Windows you insert your install disc, set the boot order to CD --> HD ---> USB, then once the Windows installer loads, tell it to do a quick format, then proceed to install Windows as normal.

Once the install is done set your drives back to HD --> CD ---> USB and then proceed to copy your data back onto your HD.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 6:16:16 PM

you have no idea how much you have helped me, thank you very much.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 6:52:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!