PCI-E 2.0 with PCI-E 3.0

streg

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone here could help me with a very troubling question that has come to my attention. I'm interested in buying this graphics card the GeForce GTX 580 and it says that it is a PCI-E 2.0 card. But the mother board although it does have it a 2.0 slot it has the ability to perform SLI with two 3.0 slots. and i figured it would be nice if later on down the road if i decide to buy another GTX 580 that i would be able to run SLI. Also I was wondering if it is able to work on a 3.0 slot would it lose any performance? or gain? or stay the same? anyways that is my question hopefully one of you guys are able to help me out. Thank you guys and props to the website very helpful in helping me decide some of the equipment i was going to buy for my new computer :)

You won't have any problems using them in a 3.0 slot they are backwards compatible and you won't loose and performance.
But in order to use the 3.0 slots you must have a CPU that supports it.Currently their are none but the Ivy Bridge CPU's from Intel are to support it and they should be released within the next couple months.

SBE supports pcie3.

streg

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
ahhh okay thank you guys so much for your quick replies got all this as soon as i came home from work! again thank you guys and again props to the website really helpful!