Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Second Build $3000

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2012 6:08:53 PM

Hi, I'm about to buy all the parts for my seconds build, (in about a week) Just really wanted some reassurance/ and helpful information on the build to reassure me that everything will go together, be properly powered, and efficently cooled.
This build and some of the parts are a little "over the top" (2700k) but that kinda what I was going for.

Specs:

Corsair Carbide 500r outfitted with bgears fans all @ 2000 rpm, (2x120 intake, 2x140 side intake 2x140 top exaust)

MB: Asus P8Z68 deluxe

CPU: Intel I7-2700k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb (12800) NOT low profile

Cd/dvd rom drive: simple lite-on drive

HD: Western Digital 2tb (caviar Black) 7200 rpm, 64mb cache

PSU: Seasonic 1000W Platinum

Operating system: win. 7 (64 bit)

AND THE BEST PART! ASUS Direct CU II 7970 X2

should I go with H100 instead of h80? will all my parts still stay cool without 2 top exaust fans?
My main concerns are, will the psu handle this, will the 2 gpu's fit on my board/in the case, and MAINLY will everything stay cool enough? ANY HELP is much appreciated, thank you! (sorry if I forgot anything)

More about : build 3000

January 31, 2012 6:20:37 PM

Don't bother with custom water coolers. Air coolers are better.
No need for hyperthreading on a gaming pc. The i5-2500k is just as good.
Score
January 31, 2012 7:13:00 PM

1) Cooler- Azeem is right. From a value standpoint the H60-H100 are priced high compared to air coolers that perform similarly or better. If you really want to have liquid cooling for enthusiast purposes that's ok, just understand it's a nice-to-have not a need-to-have and won't net you any performance. That being said, it DOES look nice inside your case not having a massive cooler block right on the mobo.

2) I agree that a 2700k is not needed and won't really net you any benefit vs a 2500k. Normally I would say "put that money towards more graphics" but it seems you already plan to use the premier gpu setup atm (7970 crossfire). Nothing wrong with getting more than you need in the cpu department if you've got the cash, but if it was me I'd shoot for a higher end case. The 500r is very nice, but there are other options little nicer (600t, 650d, 800d, or.... COSMOS II :p  )

3) Hard drives are extremely overpriced right now due to the supply shortages. If you can live with a 1TB for now, you could save a little cash by getting one now and another (or a 2tb) down the road when prices normalize.

Congrats on the decision to do a build. Hope the suggestions were helpful!
Score
Related resources
January 31, 2012 7:49:08 PM

- In a previous post of yours, you mentioned that you owned the HAF X. Why are you not re-using it?

- A bigger case gives your cards (which take up 3 slots) more room to breathe in CrossFire.

- At 2000 RPM, your fans will be LOUD - unless you plan to get a fan controller.

- Please get a SSD.

-- Food for thought: don't mess with closed loop water cooling. With the investment you are making, you may consider giving legit watercooling a chance.
Score
January 31, 2012 7:51:23 PM

azeem40 said:
Don't bother with custom water coolers. Air coolers are better.
No need for hyperthreading on a gaming pc. The i5-2500k is just as good.

What he said.

Quote:
2) I agree that a 2700k is not needed and won't really net you any benefit vs a 2500k. Normally I would say "put that money towards more graphics" but it seems you already plan to use the premier gpu setup atm (7970 crossfire). Nothing wrong with getting more than you need in the cpu department if you've got the cash, but if it was me I'd shoot for a higher end case. The 500r is very nice, but there are other options little nicer (600t, 650d, 800d, or.... COSMOS II :p  )

Actually as much as I love the Cosmos II, where that money would benefit would be getting an SSD. Even with a 64GB SSD you'll show a huge improvement over any other hard drive you plan to use. I'd say also the Caviar Blacks are ridiculously expensive because of the shortages right now. Maybe drop that to a Samsung Spinpoint or a Seagate Barracuda Green and you'd save another $100 - then you could get a 128GB Crucial M4.

With dropping the 2700K to a 2500K you'll actually be saving about $200 and then you can invest that elsewhere - either in the case or the storage setup I recommended. I would not use a 2TB as your main hard drive if you are storing large amounts of data on it. It would be better to have your OS on a separate drive.

Quote:
should I go with H100 instead of h80? will all my parts still stay cool without 2 top exaust fans?

I'll keep posting this every time but I'd heavily suggest reading this about choosing a good air cooling solution: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

Quote:

My main concerns are, will the psu handle this, will the 2 gpu's fit on my board/in the case, and MAINLY will everything stay cool enough? ANY HELP is much appreciated, thank you! (sorry if I forgot anything)

The Carbide is an excellent choice - most Corsair cases have enough interior room that they can handle anything you throw at it - the biggest heat sinks, PSUs, fans, you name it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned X79 yet. On a $3K build you'll get one of the best CPUs on the market and you'll still be able to make full use of the dual 7970's with full native PCI-E 3.0. Then you'll have a system that's far more future proof than a Z68 build would be.

Try a build like this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950 - $159.99
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 - $279.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $599.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 - $139.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $109.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - $129.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 (x2) - $549.99 each ($1,119.99 total)

Total: $2.739.89

That's how you spend $3K on a build.
Score
January 31, 2012 8:06:46 PM

I was going back and forth on wether or not to get a Noctua nh d-14 or an h80... went with an H80 because the noctua is so damn big, and I thought it would be a TIGHT fit with side fans in a carbide 500

I do REALLY like the cosmos II, I just really want to make sure that it can efficently cool 2 gpus, and that the heat from them won't just sit in the case because its so damn big.

I could go down to just a 1Tb hd I'm ok with that, prob go down to the 2500k, because the 2700k is overkill, just didnt want to bottleneck the 2 gpus, and to be honest I really thought sdd were just over glorified hdd, I really don't know muich about them.
Score

Best solution

January 31, 2012 9:06:11 PM

ghomes22 said:
I was going back and forth on wether or not to get a Noctua nh d-14 or an h80... went with an H80 because the noctua is so damn big, and I thought it would be a TIGHT fit with side fans in a carbide 500

I do REALLY like the cosmos II, I just really want to make sure that it can efficently cool 2 gpus, and that the heat from them won't just sit in the case because its so damn big.

I could go down to just a 1Tb hd I'm ok with that, prob go down to the 2500k, because the 2700k is overkill, just didnt want to bottleneck the 2 gpus, and to be honest I really thought sdd were just over glorified hdd, I really don't know muich about them.

1. I agree, I hate those huge coolers. I had a Silver Arrow (really similar to the D14) and it was so damn big that it was actually recirculating the hot air in my system causing temperatures to rise to the near-breaking point on most motherboards (60'C). I swapped it for the EVGA cooler and it dropped system temps nearly 20'C on idle, 15'C on full use. It's true that the hydro coolers like the H80 eliminate the huge heat sinks and even Intel and AMD are bundling 120mm blocks with future CPUs, but they've still got a long way to go before they're perfected.

2. As far as the Cosmos II goes - it's one of the best cases on the market right now (but extremely expensive - Maximum PC included it in their dream machine for a reason) where you could take that difference and invest that in getting an X79 setup. I understand having dual 7970's will be extremely bad ass but you want a motherboard that will run them out of the box flawlessly without upgrades, and that's where X79 comes in.

3. That's not necessarily true about the CPUs. Where the biggest bottleneck will be with dual 7970's is how many X16 slots your motherboard has. If you install them in the correct slots on your motherboard you will get the full functionality on them. Again I'd suggest doing some research on X79 and comparing that to how Z68 utilizes graphics lanes. On a $3K build you should definitely not rule that out.
January 31, 2012 10:56:53 PM

cool thanks, I will definatly look into x79 if it does utilize crossfire better

cpu cooler I'm still up in the air.... prob go with noctua nh d-14,

the cosmos II, I dont care about the cost, I've watched reviews and love the quality and looks, but I would really like someone who actually has 1 to tell me how the cooling in it is. (air NOT water cooling!)
Score
February 1, 2012 12:11:43 AM

Best answer selected by ghomes22.
Score
February 1, 2012 3:08:45 AM

ghomes22 said:
cool thanks, I will definatly look into x79 if it does utilize crossfire better

cpu cooler I'm still up in the air.... prob go with noctua nh d-14,

the cosmos II, I dont care about the cost, I've watched reviews and love the quality and looks, but I would really like someone who actually has 1 to tell me how the cooling in it is. (air NOT water cooling!)

Yeah CM really went all-out with that one and it shows. Some X79 boards are XL-ATX and this case is an XL-ATX case so both work.
Score
February 1, 2012 12:26:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!