Will my rig hold?

oerg

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hi

I am a computer noob and will be building a aming rig for the first time, and am wondering if you guys have any comments about it before I buy the parts:

CPU+mobo: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 / i7-2700k
GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC
HDD/SSD: Seagate 2TB/Plextor 64GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB 1600 Cl9
CPU Cooler: CM 212 Plus
DVD RW: Samsung 22x
PSU: Seasonic 760W X Series

I intend to overclock the CPU to about 4.5 Ghz. I also intend to overclock the GPU. I am wondering if the PSU will be enough?

Also, I am wondering if the price of 7970 will drop further with the introduction of gtx 670 but I am rather impatient due to the availability of the 670 and 680 cards. Is it wise to wait?

Are there any compatibility issues that I have missed out with the rig? I am quite nervous as I do not want to buy the wrong stuff and have to rebuy the components. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your time!

Zephids

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
You have a near identical build to mine. I do have a couple comments regarding it.

1) The 760 watt powersupply will be enough to overclock both, but if you go crossfire down the road you'll need a new power supply.

2) If you're going to go 4.5 Ghz you really should get liquid cooling, I personally have a Corsair H100. Mine personally goes to 60C at full load with an ambient temperature of 78 F.

amrcnfirestorm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
It'll hold. Though.. I would advise buying a case as well. :)

Anyways, here's my comments regarding your parts choices.

CPU+Mobo: Good.
GPU: IF you like the 670, you can get in line for one @ Tiger Direct. Google it, then plug in the card number to the sites search engine.
HDD/SSD: I like western digital's reliability over Seagate, but everyone has their own opinion.
Memory: We have the same memory :)
CPU Cooler: Along with what Zephids said, I would recommend a water cooler (there are prebuilt solutions!) if you intend to overclock to 4.5ghz. Google H80 or Antec 920, they're completely prebuilt and good to go.
Dvd is fine.
PSU: I love that you chose seasonic, excellent brand. :)
Your wattage will be fine for the parts you have no matter how far you overclock, but you can't crossfire with the wattage you have.

Enjoy. :)

+1 to popatim

the 212+ is more than adequate for 4.5ghz and far cheaper than a closed water cooling setup

do you need a 2700k?

if its for gaming a 2500k would be more than enough and a lot cheaper

have been closely watching the gtx670 vs 7970 affair--and a few unhappy campers with some of the gtx670

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18400740

this is the cheapest non reference 7970 i have seen so far

http://www.ebuyer.com/353110-powercolor-hd-7970-v3-3gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-displayport-ax7970-3gbd5-2dhv3

two points of view--either the 7970 price will have to come down more to compete as the gtx670 is certainly easy to get unlike the gtx680--in the uk anyway--dont know about elsewhere

or the other point of view is amd will stop the current card and start shipping the 7970 with 1ghz or over core and hold the price

i cant decide whether to get the gtx670 non reference or 7970 non reference and overclock it

the gtx670 is more energy efficient but has far less compute power than the 7970 if you intend to use it for other than gaming as far as i have read