MSI Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC - hd6950 or gtx 560 ti 448 cores?

Xolotl_72

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I have been waiting to buy a new card for a while now and today I decided not to wait for the new AMD chips anymore.

Intead I am deciding between two cards now, the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC and the GTX 560 Ti variant of it with 448 cores.

I am ordering in europe so prices are slightly outrageous either way.
The 6950 throws me back roughly 245 euro, the 560 about 265 euro.
The current price for the GTX 560 is actually around 285 euro but I got a little lucky, probably a pricing mistake or an attempt to confuse the competition, anyway I placed the order for that price at the right moment before they put it back up with the rest.

I am not sure if prices will go down much lower than 265 euro soon though, it is doubtful I suppose. The 560 also comes with Arkham city which does make the deal more attractive to me.

But what is your opinion? Wait to see if prices drop further for the new 560's? I really could use the GPU upgrade right now.

Xolotl_72

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
prices are falling a little bit. think I will hold off on it for a while and check how the prices develop.

still interested in opinions though

monsta

Splendid
Go for the new model 560ti 448, if it comes with Arkham city thats a really good deal , you will also be able to enjoy the Physx in the game with the 560ti. I don't see the prices going down anytime soon, the newer cards won't be out till next year and no date is confirmed.
Go ahead and get the 560ti 448, it has great performance and they overclock quite well.

Stick with that MSI 560 Ti 448 cores Twin Frozr. At stock speeds it matches a 6970, plus the free game, plus Physx, plus better drivers..... etc., etc.

perfrel.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_560_Ti_448_Cores_Twin_Frozr_III/27.html

Wrong, the GTX 560Ti 448 doesn't match HD 6970 and it has a little performance gain over the HD 6950.
Avg.png

EDIT: HD 6970>GTX 570>GTX 560ti 448> HD 6950> GTX 560ti, it's been AMD.

Doesn't 6950 comes with Dirt3 Bundled? I think you should get 6950 if there is Dirt3. If there is no then you get 560Ti 448 core edition. I don't think 560Ti 448 cores edition will have the same performance with 6970 or 570. So I don't think getting 560Ti 448 cores is a first option.

Out of topic. Have you notice in the picture above that 1GB 6950 is faster than 2GB? I was wrong then. I thought 2GB of VRAM would increase the performance.

True. When the additional memory doesn’t make a difference, it reduces performance slightly, a phenomenon already observed with the 1 GB and 2 GB versions of the Radeon HD 6950.

+1
It's been AMD now all the way since they enhanced the latest drivers, they had a similar results in the past but with the new drivers the HD 6970 took the lead over the GTX 570.

That Tom's review is the only one on the web that showed modest performance for the 448 core card. Everyone else puts it right behind the GTX 570, just like the TechPowerUp chart shows.

I also wonder where you are getting your information about magic AMD drivers that suddenly cause the 6970 to leapfrog over the GTX 570. To my knowledge, no one has bothered to re-do their complete benchmark suite for either card in the past week or two. On the contrary, all the latest news has been about AMD drivers failing on the new game releases.

Here's a tidbit from HardOCP's Battlefield 3 performance review:
"Throughout all of our testing it was apparent that the NVIDIA GPU based video cards were providing better performance and more enjoyable gameplay than the AMD GPU based video cards. There were no instances that we found where any AMD card provided better gameplay performance than it's NVIDIA counterpart. We also experienced an issue which we believe to be driver related with all AMD video cards. We experienced an extremely noticeable lag any time there was a large amount of debris flying around, explosions from missiles, grenades or vehicles, or buildings in the environment being destroyed. This was not present on any of the NV based GPUs."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/22/battlefield_3_multiplayer_performance_iq_review/6

And this one for Skyrim:
"We witnessed the very best performance with a pair of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580s installed and operating in SLI mode. After that, the single GeForce GTX 580 was the best performer, followed by the GeForce GTX 570. AMD video cards have some performance issues in Skyrim, and we do hope that AMD can improve this with driver updates. It would be difficult to recommend an AMD video card to any gamer looking to upgrade his or her computer in order to play Skyrim. For this game at least, NVIDIA-GPU based current generation video cards is where it's at, whether you are packing a 30" monitor running at 2560x1600, a 1080p panel, or a multi-monitor gaming solution, they are simply faster."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/21/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_performance_iq_review/7

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
*shrug* All these cards are so close together, its a pure crapshoot. Any one of them can be a "bad" card and a "great" card. A good example of this is the 448 reviews out lately. Toms hardware had the worst 448. Zotac isnt known for High End IMHO.

The MSI PE seems to be the one to get. Its seen the highest overclocks and the best quality IMHO. Had I known that earlier I would of spent the 20 bucks more for the MSI vs the FTW edition.

Ive now seen 2 places with 1Ghz OCs on the MSI 448s. 1Ghz on a GF110 is very good.

Source 1: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4455/msi_gtx_560_ti_448_1280mb_twin_frozr_iii_power_edition_video_card_overclocked/index1.html

Source 2: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_gtx560ti_448_-_overclock_part_2/1

Xolotl_72

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
thanks for the replies guys.

I am set for the 560 now, I might send it back if AMD drops their prices but I think the deal I got is OK, probably not seeing much lower prices for this model anytime soon.

@ refillable: The thing is, I am not really interested in Dirt3, Arkham city is a nice bonus for me though.