Sign in with
Your question

US vs UK profile

Last response: in Forum Feedback
April 5, 2011 9:39:35 AM

Probably not a bug but strange! US and UK sites share a log on but keep individual badge count. I was just the other day sitting at home in the US wondering why I got awarded the bronze graphics badge, then I found out couple of days ago sitting in the Netherlands logging into the forum and see it on my UK profile. Not being able to go on the forum over here on my US profile, always get redirected to the UK profile, how did I end up with a badge on the UK one when posting in the US?
There is as well a difference in how the forum views depending on profile. On the US one I enter main category and all the posts are listed with (subcategories) but not on the UK one. On the US one I see all the flags for the threads read and posted in but on the UK profile I only see the flags from my older posts posted in the US.
I am just curious about the differences since I travel a lot and spend time in different parts of the world sometimes with limited time to enjoy the forum but sometimes like now I can.

More about : profile

April 5, 2011 1:04:43 PM

I see the same issues.

This is totally a bug. The forum isn't localised correctly! I mean the dates haven't even been formatted in a locale specific format. Regardless of which URL I should be hitting the format should be appropriate for the browser's locale!
April 5, 2011 1:31:47 PM

This has to do with automatic IP re-routing. To make sure you are in the US forums, keep an eye on the URL. If you spot it saying .co.uk manually re-enter the US ones at .com.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 5, 2011 1:44:29 PM

You're kidding right? We're talking about localisation and you are telling us to use one site? That's a workaround at best!
April 5, 2011 1:47:22 PM

jpishgar said:
This has to do with automatic IP re-routing. To make sure you are in the US forums, keep an eye on the URL. If you spot it saying .co.uk manually re-enter the US ones at .com.

So if every time I open a thread I have to enter .com instead of .co.uk, like I just did now it will work! Seams rather bothersome!
April 5, 2011 1:57:31 PM

So I opened up this thread in .co.uk and changed the URL to .com and it put me into a thread in the windows XP section. Does simply not work since the discussion tracking is different and every time you use a hyper-link (open a thread, change forum category and so on) the automated IP tracking relocates you.
April 6, 2011 1:39:39 PM

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done on this until the new platform is released in the coming months. As for the localization issue, I'll pass that along to the development team for working up a fix.
April 8, 2011 7:29:25 PM

In the meantime, you might care to block either the UK or US site, according to choice, by adding it to your Hosts file, then bookmark it for speedier connection on return. I think you'll find the discussion tracking normally works better than uit has of late - possibly down to the work inprogress.

!