PSP 2.0 Firmware Finally Released

After a delay, then a new date, then silence, the latest PSP firmware
is available. I checked this afternoon and it wasn't there, so it must
have just been released--it is currently 9:08 Pacific, so I'm guessing
it started on 12:00am Eastern Time (Wednesday, the 24th).

Yeah, some of you won't want to upgrade because you'll lose the ability
to play homebrews and emulators and such, but you had better by a
second PSP if you plan to play any new games--Sony will undoubtedly
include the 2.0 update on GTA: Liberty City Stories and other upcoming
titles.

Just FYI...
33 answers Last reply
More about firmware finally released

    Android66 wrote:

    > After a delay, then a new date, then silence, the latest PSP firmware
    > is available.

    Thanks 'droid. Downloading it as we speak.

    -Z-

    The specs said that the PSP would now be able to play MPEG4 music, but
    I tried transfering some of my iTunes music to the memory stick (they
    are MP4's) and it is still a no-go. Oh well. I'll figure it out
    tomorrow. The wallpaper function is interesting, and the newly
    supported video formats are okay, but as you said, the Web browser is
    the main new feature. It is really cool going to eBay, Amazon,
    GameFaqs and other sites using the PSP.

    I wonder how long it will be before certain Web sites add a new page
    display to be more compatible with the PSP screen size?
    http://psp.us.playstation.com/ looks great as a home page, though...

    Zackman wrote:

    > Thanks 'droid. Downloading it as we speak.

    Having a web browser on the PSP sounded like a gimmick, but man is it fun to
    play with. :) The multiple browser tabs are pretty cool, and the scrolling
    works great. Lots of other fun little upgrades too. It's too bad the PSP
    can't stream (or still even play) non-MP4 video.

    -Z-

    Android66 wrote:

    > The specs said that the PSP would now be able to play MPEG4 music, but
    > I tried transfering some of my iTunes music to the memory stick (they
    > are MP4's) and it is still a no-go.

    Are you trying to transfer purchased music, ie. encrypted M4A files? Cuz
    that obviously won't work, since you can only play them on one of your
    authorized PCs or an iPod. Or are they just regular MP4 audio files?

    > It is really cool going to eBay, Amazon,
    > GameFaqs and other sites using the PSP.

    Totally. I mean I've got a fairly full-functioned web browser on my cell,
    but browsing on that crisp, wide screen yet still in the palm of my hand is
    really cool. Not to mention being able to download files to later transfer
    to my PC.

    > I wonder how long it will be before certain Web sites add a new page
    > display to be more compatible with the PSP screen size?
    > http://psp.us.playstation.com/ looks great as a home page, though...

    There are a couple of other options under the View menu. The Just-Fit
    actually looks really good, because it makes the page width fit the PSP's
    screen width without affecting the layout too much. Give it a try.

    -Z-

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > Android66 wrote:
    >
    >> The specs said that the PSP would now be able to play MPEG4 music, but
    >> I tried transfering some of my iTunes music to the memory stick (they
    >> are MP4's) and it is still a no-go.
    >
    > Are you trying to transfer purchased music, ie. encrypted M4A files? Cuz
    > that obviously won't work, since you can only play them on one of your
    > authorized PCs or an iPod. Or are they just regular MP4 audio files?
    >
    >> It is really cool going to eBay, Amazon,
    >> GameFaqs and other sites using the PSP.
    >
    > Totally. I mean I've got a fairly full-functioned web browser on my cell,
    > but browsing on that crisp, wide screen yet still in the palm of my hand
    > is really cool. Not to mention being able to download files to later
    > transfer to my PC.
    >
    >> I wonder how long it will be before certain Web sites add a new page
    >> display to be more compatible with the PSP screen size?
    >> http://psp.us.playstation.com/ looks great as a home page, though...
    >
    > There are a couple of other options under the View menu. The Just-Fit
    > actually looks really good, because it makes the page width fit the PSP's
    > screen width without affecting the layout too much. Give it a try.
    >
    > -Z-

    I have been singing the praises of the 2.0 browser for a while now. I am
    glad you guys are giving it a try. I think it far outweighs the novelty of
    homebrew games.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <1124856585.505266.134850@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote:

    > After a delay, then a new date, then silence, the latest PSP firmware
    > is available. I checked this afternoon and it wasn't there, so it must
    > have just been released--it is currently 9:08 Pacific, so I'm guessing
    > it started on 12:00am Eastern Time (Wednesday, the 24th).
    >
    > Yeah, some of you won't want to upgrade because you'll lose the ability
    > to play homebrews and emulators and such, but you had better by a
    > second PSP if you plan to play any new games--Sony will undoubtedly
    > include the 2.0 update on GTA: Liberty City Stories and other upcoming
    > titles.

    I wonder if it is absolutely identical to the Japanese release - maybe
    they added a few extra fixes or something in the US one. I installed
    that one, and Network Update says I'm up to date..
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > Android66 wrote:
    >
    >> The specs said that the PSP would now be able to play MPEG4 music, but
    >> I tried transfering some of my iTunes music to the memory stick (they
    >> are MP4's) and it is still a no-go.
    >
    > Are you trying to transfer purchased music, ie. encrypted M4A files? Cuz
    > that obviously won't work, since you can only play them on one of your
    > authorized PCs or an iPod. Or are they just regular MP4 audio files?
    >
    >> It is really cool going to eBay, Amazon,
    >> GameFaqs and other sites using the PSP.
    >
    > Totally. I mean I've got a fairly full-functioned web browser on my cell,
    > but browsing on that crisp, wide screen yet still in the palm of my hand
    > is really cool. Not to mention being able to download files to later
    > transfer to my PC.
    >
    >> I wonder how long it will be before certain Web sites add a new page
    >> display to be more compatible with the PSP screen size?
    >> http://psp.us.playstation.com/ looks great as a home page, though...
    >
    > There are a couple of other options under the View menu. The Just-Fit
    > actually looks really good, because it makes the page width fit the PSP's
    > screen width without affecting the layout too much. Give it a try.

    Just fit is okay until you get long links and they wrap in large boxes to
    fit. Then the page just looks silly.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Beck wrote:

    > Just fit is okay until you get long links and they wrap in large
    > boxes to fit. Then the page just looks silly.

    Yeah you're right. It worked great on some news sites, but for something
    like Gamespot it's going to warp the page layout no matter what. Still, it's
    pretty damn cool.

    -Z-
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > I have been singing the praises of the 2.0 browser for a while now. I am
    > glad you guys are giving it a try. I think it far outweighs the novelty
    > of homebrew games.

    I don't see the point of emulators. Why bother playing an 8 bit game on
    such a great screen like that?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Mike O'Connor wrote:

    > In article <1124856585.505266.134850@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote:
    >
    > > After a delay, then a new date, then silence, the latest PSP firmware
    > > is available. I checked this afternoon and it wasn't there, so it must
    > > have just been released--it is currently 9:08 Pacific, so I'm guessing
    > > it started on 12:00am Eastern Time (Wednesday, the 24th).
    > >
    > > Yeah, some of you won't want to upgrade because you'll lose the ability
    > > to play homebrews and emulators and such, but you had better by a
    > > second PSP if you plan to play any new games--Sony will undoubtedly
    > > include the 2.0 update on GTA: Liberty City Stories and other upcoming
    > > titles.
    >
    > I wonder if it is absolutely identical to the Japanese release - maybe
    > they added a few extra fixes or something in the US one. I installed
    > that one, and Network Update says I'm up to date..

    I'm wondering if they delayed it to try to take some wind out of the
    Nintendogs sail...
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have been singing the praises of the 2.0 browser for a while now. I am
    >> glad you guys are giving it a try. I think it far outweighs the novelty
    >> of homebrew games.
    >
    > I don't see the point of emulators. Why bother playing an 8 bit game on
    > such a great screen like that?

    That is why the update has always been a no-brainer.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > Beck wrote:
    >
    >> Just fit is okay until you get long links and they wrap in large
    >> boxes to fit. Then the page just looks silly.
    >
    > Yeah you're right. It worked great on some news sites, but for something
    > like Gamespot it's going to warp the page layout no matter what. Still,
    > it's pretty damn cool.

    BBC News is good to navigate. When the page first loads theres lots of
    graphics but if you switch to the low graphics version (top left link) it
    lists the news items with little pictures instead. Much better option.
    Unfortunately it does not seem to remember that option so I have to click it
    each time.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > I'm wondering if they delayed it to try to take some wind out of the
    > Nintendogs sail...

    I don't understand the hype about Nintendogs. If I wanted to bring up a dog
    I would buy a real one.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message

    >> I'm wondering if they delayed it to try to take some wind out of the
    >> Nintendogs sail...
    >
    > I don't understand the hype about Nintendogs. If I wanted to bring up a
    > dog I would buy a real one.

    Same here with "The Sims" so I just bought an eastern European family of
    four and tell them what to do. It's fun to make them work work work until
    they piss themselves and fall asleep in the driveway! I had one named
    Little Stalin, but he died because I forgot to have him eat.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    >> Android66 wrote:
    >>
    >>> The specs said that the PSP would now be able to play MPEG4 music, but
    >>> I tried transfering some of my iTunes music to the memory stick (they
    >>> are MP4's) and it is still a no-go.
    >>
    >> Are you trying to transfer purchased music, ie. encrypted M4A files? Cuz
    >> that obviously won't work, since you can only play them on one of your
    >> authorized PCs or an iPod. Or are they just regular MP4 audio files?
    >>
    >>> It is really cool going to eBay, Amazon,
    >>> GameFaqs and other sites using the PSP.
    >>
    >> Totally. I mean I've got a fairly full-functioned web browser on my cell,
    >> but browsing on that crisp, wide screen yet still in the palm of my hand
    >> is really cool. Not to mention being able to download files to later
    >> transfer to my PC.
    >>
    >>> I wonder how long it will be before certain Web sites add a new page
    >>> display to be more compatible with the PSP screen size?
    >>> http://psp.us.playstation.com/ looks great as a home page, though...
    >>
    >> There are a couple of other options under the View menu. The Just-Fit
    >> actually looks really good, because it makes the page width fit the PSP's
    >> screen width without affecting the layout too much. Give it a try.
    >>
    >> -Z-
    >>

    > I have been singing the praises of the 2.0 browser for a while now. I am
    > glad you guys are giving it a try. I think it far outweighs the novelty
    > of homebrew games.

    Yeah, i've been enjoying the 2.0 features since the JAP release too. I just
    couldnt wait. :) Now that the chickens are upgraded too, it started an
    influx of posts about it. lol. Welcome to the party guys...

    Hey Android... How's that article coming??
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >

    >> I'm wondering if they delayed it to try to take some wind out of the
    >> Nintendogs sail...
    >
    > I don't understand the hype about Nintendogs. If I wanted to bring up a
    > dog I would buy a real one.

    cheaper?? Its SIMs with dogs! lol
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:

    > Same here with "The Sims" so I just bought an eastern European family
    > of four and tell them what to do. It's fun to make them work work
    > work until they piss themselves and fall asleep in the driveway! I
    > had one named Little Stalin, but he died because I forgot to have him
    > eat.

    When you're not being a total asshat you're occasionally funny.

    But be honest, Little Stalin died from fatal buggery.

    -Z-
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

    >> Same here with "The Sims" so I just bought an eastern European family
    >> of four and tell them what to do. It's fun to make them work work
    >> work until they piss themselves and fall asleep in the driveway! I
    >> had one named Little Stalin, but he died because I forgot to have him
    >> eat.
    >
    > When you're not being a total asshat you're occasionally funny.

    "READ: You're funny 'cept when you're making fun the fact that I chase Blig
    about sounding like a squirrel that got a nut shell stuck in his butt."

    > But be honest, Little Stalin died from fatal buggery.

    Yeah, it got a virus from the "Zackman" worm that made its way in through
    some backdoor. Luckily I installed Blig-Soft Bitch Remover before it
    infected the baby.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Not too well...haven't had the time to finish it! I'm currently in the
    middle of writing two strategy guides, and with all the holiday
    releases on the way, I've got my plate full of previews/reviews. Not
    that I'm complaining...I'd rather have too many games to play than too
    few, but I still wish developers would space things out a little
    better. What's wrong with releasing a game in March? Would it kill
    them to release a AAA title in July? May through August was a bust as
    far as PSP software is concerned--there were far more UMD movies
    released than games, and I haven't cared about anything other than Hot
    Shots Golf--but at least there are finally some great PSP titles coming
    up.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:

    > "READ: You're funny 'cept when you're making fun the fact that I
    > chase Blig about sounding like a squirrel that got a nut shell stuck
    > in his butt."

    You're an asshat even when you're not stalking me, son. I think the fact you
    actually made a joke was probably just a complete fluke, like a monkey
    smashing on a keyboard and managing to spell something.

    > Yeah, it got a virus from the "Zackman" worm that made its way in
    > through some backdoor. Luckily I installed Blig-Soft Bitch Remover
    > before it infected the baby.

    Now you're trying too hard. Oh well. You still got that one point on the
    board.

    -Z-
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

    >> "READ: You're funny 'cept when you're making fun the fact that I
    >> chase Blig about sounding like a squirrel that got a nut shell stuck
    >> in his butt."
    >
    > You're an asshat even when you're not stalking me, son.

    A) I'm not an "asshat". (What a lame term)
    B) I've never stalked you, you wannabee.

    > I think the fact you actually made a joke was probably just a complete
    > fluke, like a monkey smashing on a keyboard and managing to spell
    > something.

    Yes! Let the rage boil, you little twat!

    >> Yeah, it got a virus from the "Zackman" worm that made its way in
    >> through some backdoor. Luckily I installed Blig-Soft Bitch Remover
    >> before it infected the baby.
    >
    > Now you're trying too hard. Oh well. You still got that one point on the
    > board.

    See how quickly you lose your sense of humor, Mr Oh Too Sensitive Little
    Girlie Boy.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Beck wrote:

    > "Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > I'm wondering if they delayed it to try to take some wind out of the
    > > Nintendogs sail...
    >
    > I don't understand the hype about Nintendogs. If I wanted to bring up a dog
    > I would buy a real one.

    "Electric paddle tennis? Why would anyone want to play electric paddle
    tennis when they can play real paddle tennis?"
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Zackcrybabybitch wrote:

    > I laugh at things that are funny.

    You have never laughed at anything despite all your attempts at LOL and
    ROTFLMAO. All you do is cry, cry, cry except when you bitch, bitch,
    bitch.

    >I'm kooky that way.

    You are not kooky, you are mentally disturbed. You went from being
    Teemonkey's apologist to surpassing even that psycho-schizo shithead.
    > -Z-
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:

    > A) I'm not an "asshat". (What a lame term)

    YES U R!!11 U R TEH ASSHAT CUZ I SED SOO!111

    > B) I've never stalked you, you wannabee.

    What do you call responding to my posts even more than I respond to Blig's
    then?

    > Yes! Let the rage boil, you little twat!

    Silly Fred. Takes more than an asshat stalker like you to get me mad.

    > See how quickly you lose your sense of humor, Mr Oh Too Sensitive
    > Little Girlie Boy.

    I laugh at things that are funny. I'm kooky that way.

    -Z-
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message
    > Not too well...haven't had the time to finish it! I'm currently in the
    > middle of writing two strategy guides, and with all the holiday
    > releases on the way, I've got my plate full of previews/reviews. Not
    > that I'm complaining...I'd rather have too many games to play than too
    > few, but I still wish developers would space things out a little
    > better. What's wrong with releasing a game in March? Would it kill
    > them to release a AAA title in July? May through August was a bust as
    > far as PSP software is concerned--there were far more UMD movies
    > released than games, and I haven't cared about anything other than Hot
    > Shots Golf--but at least there are finally some great PSP titles coming
    > up.

    How's GTA shaping up?? and SOCOM: FTB?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

    >> A) I'm not an "asshat". (What a lame term)
    >
    > YES U R!!11 U R TEH ASSHAT CUZ I SED SOO!111

    tsk tsk tsk....

    >> B) I've never stalked you, you wannabee.
    >
    > What do you call responding to my posts even more than I respond to Blig's
    > then?

    Wow, you are delusional. Perhaps you should google that, son. lol.

    BTW, if you can't handle people responding to your stupid posts and want to
    whine about being stalked, perhaps Usenet isn't the place for you, sissy?
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message
    >>> Not too well...haven't had the time to finish it! I'm currently in the
    >>> middle of writing two strategy guides, and with all the holiday
    >>> releases on the way, I've got my plate full of previews/reviews. Not
    >>> that I'm complaining...I'd rather have too many games to play than too
    >>> few, but I still wish developers would space things out a little
    >>> better. What's wrong with releasing a game in March? Would it kill
    >>> them to release a AAA title in July? May through August was a bust as
    >>> far as PSP software is concerned--there were far more UMD movies
    >>> released than games, and I haven't cared about anything other than Hot
    >>> Shots Golf--but at least there are finally some great PSP titles coming
    >>> up.
    >>>

    >> How's GTA shaping up?? and SOCOM: FTB?
    >>

    > I know just from what I have heard the masters of Beta testing Massive,
    > Android, Et all, I will not only be picking up SOCOM 3 but I am really
    > curious about the PSP version.

    Hey, i'm a master too.. lol. The beta leaves alot to be desired in the ways
    of variety. But i think the final product will be better than both SOCOMs so
    far. And the latest map that's been revealed, its just like WHOA. So damn
    big.. here's a link to the pic if you havent seen it.

    http://socomblog.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/killing_fields.JPG
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Android66" <mandrovich@wifibullseye.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> How's GTA shaping up?? and SOCOM: FTB?
    >>>

    >> I know just from what I have heard the masters of Beta testing Massive,
    >> Android, Et all, I will not only be picking up SOCOM 3 but I am really
    >> curious about the PSP version.
    >>

    > Hey, i'm a master too.. lol. The beta leaves alot to be desired in the
    > ways of variety. But i think the final product will be better than both
    > SOCOMs so far. And the latest map that's been revealed, its just like
    > WHOA. So damn big.. here's a link to the pic if you havent seen it.
    >
    > http://socomblog.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/killing_fields.JPG

    Which one of those is the last map?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chaseREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I know just from what I have heard the masters of Beta testing Massive,
    >>> Android, Et all, I will not only be picking up SOCOM 3 but I am really
    >>> curious about the PSP version.
    >>>

    >> Hey, i'm a master too.. lol. The beta leaves alot to be desired in the
    >> ways of variety. But i think the final product will be better than both
    >> SOCOMs so far. And the latest map that's been revealed, its just like
    >> WHOA. So damn big.. here's a link to the pic if you havent seen it.
    >>
    >> http://socomblog.typepad.com/./photos/uncategorized/killing_fields.JPG
    >>

    > Which one of those is the last map?

    huh?? You mean the latest map.... the one that takes up the whole
    background?? its as big as all those maps put together... plus some...

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Blig Merk wrote:

    > You went from being
    > Teemonkey's apologist to surpassing even that psycho-schizo shithead.

    Isn't it redundant to say psycho-schizo? And isn't that HIV Steve guy
    actually Teemoney? You should use your l337 detective skills and figure that
    out.

    And whatever happened to Omar? I miss him. If you went away I'd miss you
    too. You should try it and see.

    -Z-
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:

    > BTW, if you can't handle people responding to your stupid posts and
    > want to whine about being stalked, perhaps Usenet isn't the place for
    > you, sissy?

    Yeah, because having pretend arguments about video games on the Internet is
    definitely a MAN'S work. Hahahaha. Fruit.

    -Z-
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message

    >> BTW, if you can't handle people responding to your stupid posts and
    >> want to whine about being stalked, perhaps Usenet isn't the place for
    >> you, sissy?
    >
    > Yeah, because having pretend arguments about video games on the Internet
    > is definitely a MAN'S work. Hahahaha. Fruit.

    So, you're saying you can't hang with children, let alone in the real world
    with men? You're a bigger sissy than we imagined.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Fred Liken wrote:

    > So, you're saying you can't hang with children, let alone in the real
    > world with men? You're a bigger sissy than we imagined.

    Honestly Fred -- and I genuinely don't mean to hurt your feelings with
    this -- but you barely even register on my radar. I only have room in my
    Usenet experience for one punching bag, sorry. But hey, at least I respond
    to 1 out of every 10 of your obsessive stalker posts. That's more than you
    likely get from women.

    -Z-

Console Gaming PlayStation Firmware Games Sony Video Games