Sign in with
Your question

Realtek HD audio & Win 7 - Passthru outputs 2.0 no matter what. Help!

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2012 8:35:36 PM

MOBO: MSI z77a-g45 (uses Realtek AC892)

CPU: i5 3570
Video: XFX Radeon 6870

Latest Realtek drivers.

New Win7 install: My PC is hooked to a 5.1 audio receiver via a digital optical cable (toslink). When I play any 5.1 content or even run the Windows surround sound tests, my receiver recognizes that a dolby digital 5.1 signal is coming in, but only 2 channels (fr, fl) have sound!

Same goes for movie content: I play DTS/DD 5.1 movie content thru Media Player Classic HC, make sure the audio filter is setup to pass thru 5.1 tracks to the receiver. Again, the receiver lights up that it recognizes it's a DTS/DD 5.1 (not 2.0) stream, but only the left/right speakers have any sound. I've tried different audio filters' (FFDshow, MPC Audio, LAV) passthru modes and all have the same shameful result. This worked fine in Vista 64 (with different hardware but same connections and player software).

Speaker configuration is nowhere to be found in Windows 7: In the Sound Device Manager, the "CONFIGURATION" BUTTON BELOW IS ALWAYS GREYED OUT for all devices listed (including Realtek Optical). Always. Since this is where you setup the speaker configuration, can this be related? Is it defaulting to 2 speaker setup? Still, I don't get why audio pass thru from movies would be affected by windows' speaker config since it should be passing thru the raw dolby digital signal.

I have the Realtek HD Audio latest drivers and also tried drivers that were 2 revisions back. No dice. In noticed the Realtek Audio Manager program has NO speaker configuration tab, even though I've seen it in screenshots of older audio manager versions.

So, any idea why I'm not getting sound in all 5 speakers? Or why the configuration button is always greyed out for my audio devices?
May 18, 2012 9:36:10 PM

I figured out a solution and am posting it here for posterity:

The fix was to use a coaxial digital audio cable instead of an optical one!

For whatever reason, the optical/toslink digital cable would not work properly with this audio chip. It's totally bizarre since the previous mobo I had used an older Realtek chip and worked perfectly with the exact same optical cable and audio receiver. :pfff: 

By the way, the speaker configuration button and all that are still greyed out in the windows settings. Nothing changed in the software whatsoever. It was simply a matter of switching to a different type of cable.
m
l
May 29, 2012 11:47:01 AM

kevin001 said:
MOBO: MSI z77a-g45 (uses Realtek AC892)

CPU: i5 3570
Video: XFX Radeon 6870

Latest Realtek drivers.

New Win7 install: My PC is hooked to a 5.1 audio receiver via a digital optical cable (toslink). When I play any 5.1 content or even run the Windows surround sound tests, my receiver recognizes that a dolby digital 5.1 signal is coming in, but only 2 channels (fr, fl) have sound!

Same goes for movie content: I play DTS/DD 5.1 movie content thru Media Player Classic HC, make sure the audio filter is setup to pass thru 5.1 tracks to the receiver. Again, the receiver lights up that it recognizes it's a DTS/DD 5.1 (not 2.0) stream, but only the left/right speakers have any sound. I've tried different audio filters' (FFDshow, MPC Audio, LAV) passthru modes and all have the same shameful result. This worked fine in Vista 64 (with different hardware but same connections and player software).

Speaker configuration is nowhere to be found in Windows 7: In the Sound Device Manager, the "CONFIGURATION" BUTTON BELOW IS ALWAYS GREYED OUT for all devices listed (including Realtek Optical). Always. Since this is where you setup the speaker configuration, can this be related? Is it defaulting to 2 speaker setup? Still, I don't get why audio pass thru from movies would be affected by windows' speaker config since it should be passing thru the raw dolby digital signal.

I have the Realtek HD Audio latest drivers and also tried drivers that were 2 revisions back. No dice. In noticed the Realtek Audio Manager program has NO speaker configuration tab, even though I've seen it in screenshots of older audio manager versions.

So, any idea why I'm not getting sound in all 5 speakers? Or why the configuration button is always greyed out for my audio devices?
с этим работают все разъемы в "семерке"

Официальный фирменный сертифицированный драйвер звука - sigmatel-IDT High Definition Audio Driver(WinXP/Vista/Win7_x32_x64)
ОС: Windows XP 32bit edition ; Windows XP 64битная версия ; Windows Vista 64bit ; Windows Vista 32bit ; Windows 7 32bit ; Windows 7 64bit
архив: zip
Статус: Бесплатно
Размер:25.7MB

часто встречается в поиске как SigmaTel STAC9221 A2 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller

http://letitbit.net/download/4202.4fce2265...IDT115.zip.html
m
l
!