Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computor keep shutting off when only playing a game for about 2 minu

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2012 10:02:25 PM

when playing a game for about 2 minutes my computer shuts off, it's only when playing games on it
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 15, 2012 10:14:12 PM

What are your system specs? Have you monitored temps for your CPU/GPU when gaming? Checked the system event log to see if there are any errors? Is it any game or just one game?
m
l
May 23, 2012 9:49:36 PM

Rugger said:
What are your system specs? Have you monitored temps for your CPU/GPU when gaming? Checked the system event log to see if there are any errors? Is it any game or just one game?

temps are ok, it's any game that this happens.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
1.00 GB (RAM)
VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family WDDM
260 MB Total available graphics memory
199 GB Free (233 GB Total )

m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2012 1:15:31 AM

It's an older machine, sounds like your psu may be failing due to age. If you're happy with the machine, see if you can swap out the power supply, even temporarily. If you want to do some serious gaming, it might be a good time to save up for a new PC.
m
l
May 24, 2012 1:35:39 AM

tjs4ever said:
It's an older machine, sounds like your psu may be failing due to age. If you're happy with the machine, see if you can swap out the power supply, even temporarily. If you want to do some serious gaming, it might be a good time to save up for a new PC.

SAVING IS NOT AN OPTION, BEING ON SSDI , SO I;LL HAVE TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT HOW I CAN GET/AFFORD A NEW PSU I GUESS.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 24, 2012 1:48:00 AM

Did you check your system even log? Instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Open-E... There should be entries around the time that your PC shuts itself down. Your specifically looking for an event ID or error code that is associated with or caused the shutdown. If you can get the error code or event Id then you can Google it to find out that cause of the error and get troubleshooting tips.

After that the first thing that I would do is update all your drivers, especially your GPU drivers.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 24, 2012 1:49:06 AM

You may not need a new PSU...there is troubleshooting that you need to do to isolate the problem.
m
l
!