Sign in with
Your question

How hot should my i5-2500k run?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 10:48:44 PM

I'm using the stock cooler, when i run Prime 95 i hit up to 100C on some cores. My idle temp is around ~45.

Is this normal? And if not, how do i fix it? I have a UEFI BIOS.

Not overclocked (atleast i don't think it is, unless putting it into performance mode=overclocking)

More about : hot 2500k run

a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 10:53:13 PM

What cooler on you running with the chip?

If you're running stock then i wouldn't be suprised that some cores are reaching 100c at full load. Granted you still might want to check the CPU cooler and make sure it's securely on the CPU and making full contact.(do this even if you're using an aftermarket cooler)

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 11:03:28 PM

Stock cooler.

So is that a normal temperature? Will running Prime95 for 5+hours damage the CPU at that temp?

Do i need a 3rd Party CPU cooler (i don't plan on manually overclocking, however i keep my bios settings on performance mode and sometimes on X.M.P.

And right now it cooled down a bit, its at like 35-40 with 4 Chrome windows open and skype idling.
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 11:09:20 PM

Prime 95 is going to stress the CPU way beyond normal use. Stress testing the CPU with the stock cooler will cause the CPU to hit VERY high temps even if it's not overclocked. Just the stress test alone creates great amounts of heat and the stock cooler can't dissipate it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 11:13:10 PM

rds1220 said:
Prime 95 is going to stress the CPU way beyond normal use. Stress testing the CPU with the stock cooler will cause the CPU to hit VERY high temps even if it's not overclocked. Just the stress test alone creates great amounts of heat and the stock cooler can't dissipate it.

So the stock CPU cooler will be fine for most day-to day use?
And will running a stress test at this temperature for several hours cause CPU damage?
How hot should the CPU be during normal use?

I have ~$40 to spend, im either going to buy a 6870 to replace my 6770, or get a CPU cooler. I may get both, but only if it's absolutely necessary
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 15, 2012 11:20:13 PM

Yes it will be fine for everyday use. Both AMD and Intel design their heatsinks to work on thier CPU's TDP. They're good enough for everyday use but when you start overclocking it's best to buy a good aftermarket cooler.

It could damage the CPU but most likley it will auto shutdown once it get's to hot. It's still not a good thing though you want to always try to avoid overheating. You keep doing it and you may end up damaging the CPU.

It will depend but I would say in the low to mid 30 range at idle and 40's under load.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 12:56:53 AM

I have to disagree.

The CPU does shutoff at 100C but that doesn't mean it's ok to run at 90C during high-usage times.

That is very hot, you should be under the Intel i5-2500k safe heat (72.6C) during prime. Even with the stock cooler. Hell, the stock cooler is known to get near 4ghz overclock and stay under the safe temp in prime.

Re-seat/re-paste your heatsink.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 12:58:56 AM

Raidur said:
I have to disagree.

That is very hot, you should be under the Intel i5-2500k safe heat (72.6C) during prime. Even with the stock cooler. Hell, the stock cooler is known to get near 4ghz overclock and stay under the safe temp in prime.

+1 100% Agree with that assessment.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 4:12:00 AM

Raidur said:
I have to disagree.

The CPU does shutoff at 100C but that doesn't mean it's ok to run at 90C during high-usage times.

Ah thats pretty much what I said what is there to disagree. You pretty much said what I said but in a different way.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 4:22:48 AM

rds1220 said:
Ah thats pretty much what I said what is there to disagree. You pretty much said what I said but in a different way.

Yes, but actually, neither of you fully got to the the part that I think is the real issue. My guess is that the HSF isn't seated well becauase the pins aren't fully engaged. Happens all the time (seeing it daily here, in fact).
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 4:22:59 AM

rds1220 said:

Was disagreeing with earlier posts. :)  Not necessarily you.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 5:02:34 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yes, but actually, neither of you fully got to the the part that I think is the real issue. My guess is that the HSF isn't seated well becauase the pins aren't fully engaged. Happens all the time (seeing it daily here, in fact).

Yes I know it is getting common here and it's easy to do. I actually did it today by accident with an I5. I put together I don't know how many computers with the push pins but I messed that one up. Lucky I shut it down real fast and it never had a chance to overheat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2012 2:02:39 PM

i reseated the cpu fan, and made sure i heard a click.

Temperatures now max out at 90 C according to coretemp when running the PRIME95 CPU test benchmark (the one that generates the most heat)

Is that normal? If not, what should i do?
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 12:12:01 AM

No that is way to hot it should NOT be getting that hot even under load. A couple things real fast.

When you reseated the heatsink how did you clean it?

Did you re-apply thermal paste?

Are you using the stock heatsink, aftermarket or water cooling?

If you're using the stock heatsink than that is why it is overheating. A stock heatsink can't dissapate the extra heat like an aftermarket cooler or watercooling can.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 1:12:48 AM

i didint clean it or reapply thermal paste, simply just took out the cooler and placed it back onto the motherboard. I'm using the stock cooler

Mind you, this is while running PRIME 95 for several minutes, using coretemp (which is notorious for exaggeration temperatures)
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 1:15:29 AM

mastrom101 said:
i didint clean it or reapply thermal paste

Well there's your problem! Clean both the CPU and HSF completely and reapply some new thermal paste. That HAS to be done, actually, if you ever take the HSF off, for ANY reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 2:24:36 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well there's your problem! Clean both the CPU and HSF completely and reapply some new thermal paste. That HAS to be done, actually, if you ever take the HSF off, for ANY reason.

Alright thanks, too things about that though....

1. Which paste should i buy? Preferably from Tigerdirect.ca, not too expensive
2. Can i use it for about 2 weeks with the old paste? Or is this critical to get ASAP? I don't really want to inconvenience my parents, if possible i will get it shipped in with my GPU.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 2:32:19 AM

Just get some Arctic Silver 5. It's relatively cheap, but good stuff. And you can use the system, if you absolutely HAVE to wait, but not for anything other than web browsing and very light use stuff (NO gaming or anything else CPU intensive).
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 2:34:48 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Just get some Arctic Silver 5. It's relatively cheap, but good stuff. And you can use the system, if you absolutely HAVE to wait, but not for anything other than web browsing and very light use stuff (NO gaming or anything else CPU intensive).

I'm mainly going to use it for Facebook, Skype, YouTube, and possibly light games like Runescape/Battlefield Heroes (if it is not too hard on the cpu, but i might use my other computer JIC)

Is their a guide to putting on thermal compound?

And does it go on the CPU cooler, or directly on the cpu?

thanks
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:06:16 AM

There is a guide by amuffin here on the forum somewhere about how to clean off old thermal paste and reapply, but all you need to do is make sure that both the CPU and HSF are completely clean before you reapply. The easiest way to do it is with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, but a paper towel will work, as long as you watch out for lint.

When everything is clean, just put a pea sized dot in the middle of the CPU and let the HSF spread it when you reinstall it. There are many ways to do it, but that's the method I've always used, and it works like a charm.

As far as the thermal paste you linked to, I honestly have no idea if it's good or not. I've only ever personally used AS5, but Arctic Cooling MX-4 is good stuff too.
m
l
May 20, 2012 3:36:30 AM

mastrom101 said:

I have ~$40 to spend, im either going to buy a 6870 to replace my 6770, or get a CPU cooler. I may get both, but only if it's absolutely necessary

If you can get a hold of a 6870 for $40, I would make sure to jump on that. My friend's 2500k was getting into the 90's in Prime95 too, but I know that wasn't seated particularly well, since I was the one that seated it, and had a few issues with that crappy stock fan. I did end up replacing it eventually anyways, I would recommend buying an aftermarket cooler and putting some overclock on that badboy. You have the unlocked K model, it would be shame not too, plus it's kinda fun. It will be cooler, quieter, and faster, and a decent tower cooler is not too expensive.

Hyper 212 is a good fairly cheap cooler, if your case is wide enough should do the job good. $30 with a 10 mail-in rebate @ Newegg, or $26.50 @ Amazon w/o a rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 20, 2012 3:42:23 AM

Agreed that getting a 212+/Evo would be the best thing to do. I have a 212 Evo and it really IS great for its price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 11:50:39 PM

reapplied thermal paste. I dont plan on oc'ing so spending $20 on AS5 (shipping) isnt worth it to me, settled for cheap mascool stuff.

Most of my cores are at about ~71 C, core 1 is at 75 under Prime95 Max heat test.

I think that's about right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 11:56:08 PM

reapplied thermal paste. I dont plan on oc'ing so spending $20 on AS5 (shipping) isnt worth it to me, settled for cheap mascool stuff.

Most of my cores are at about ~71 C, core 1 is at 75 under Prime95 Max heat test.

I think that's about right?

(i applied the thermal paste5 minutes ago, apparently there's a burn-in time till performance increases)
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:07:09 AM

NEVER ever EVER, run prime 95 on a stock heat sink, unless you want to buy a new MOBO or CPU soon.. lol. To answer your question, no your stock heat sink is working fine. If you look at some reviews of the i5 2500k you will notice a lot of complaints regarding the stock heat sink being complete and utter poop. I suggest getting an aftermarket heat sink. Preferably water cooled, it's cheaper than it was before and simple to install. And if you have an i5 2500k and are not planning to overclock, I'm a little dumbfounded as to why you bought that cpu in the first place. It's made to be overclocked and pushed :D 
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:49:36 AM

What compelled you to run prime95 on stock cpu/cooler?

Prime95 is for testing the stability of overclocks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 3:43:14 AM

Prime is also used to test the CPU in different ways at full load.

I don't see a problem with using it on a stock cooler to find peak temps, just watch them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2012 12:15:52 PM

yah, i wanted to make sure the cpu was not overheating, and that the cpu was not defective. i stressed it out for a bit to see the temps i was getting
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
May 30, 2012 4:53:50 PM

Raidur said:
Prime is also used to test the CPU in different ways at full load.

I don't see a problem with using it on a stock cooler to find peak temps, just watch them.

Because a stock cooler can't handle the heat created by the stress testing. Have you ever tried stress testing a stock CPU with a stock cooler? I have with both AMD and Intel CPU's on stock coolers and at factory clock speed's and voltages it took a minute maybe mintute and a half to reach upwards of 164 degrees Fahrenheit. After that it continued to rise very fast and I shut it down before it reached it's thermal limits. Stock coolers are fine for running CPU's at stock speeds and voltages but even stress testing it, even without touching voltages or clock speeds the stock coolers can't handle the stresses created by Prime 95.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 1, 2012 11:30:09 PM

My old E8400 stayed under 70C on stock cooling @ 3.6ghz (and my current CPU, Q9550, on stock/stock, til I got my aftermarket). My GF's mom's CPU needed Prime to check her unlock stability and she stayed under 60C on stock cooling with a 435 X3. Also have done it with an i7-920 and it stayed under 74C, and a Phenom II 955 which stayed around ~55C.
m
l
March 6, 2014 6:41:51 PM

wow.. i get 100C (max) on my i7 4770K when running tf2 on a 1080p moniter.. i think i might want to pick up a aftermarket heat sink before getting my gpu...
m
l
!