Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

$450-500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 31, 2012 8:50:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Most likely the next week or two

Budget Range: $450-500 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Mostly EverQuest II), HD movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (Dell SE198WFP) [Note: Not sure if they are suitable, but: PSU - Cooler Master RS-430-PMSR and GPU - PNY Verto GeForce 210 1GB] Lastly, the HDD in this pre-built is a WD 200GB SATA 3.0 GB/s (Believe that's it, comp is a Compaq Presario SR5130NX)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com (Would use Newegg, but Amazon doesn't charge sales taxes. So, if Newegg offers at a lower price than taxes are, go for it! I live in Tennessee.. Sales Tax is like 9.3% here)

Country: Tennessee, United States of America

Parts Preferences: Always have used AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU pairings :)  Although, will part with them if Intel CPU and/or AMD GPU is cheaper/faster.

Overclocking: No/Maybe (Will try it eventually if possible, but it isn't a deal-breaker if it can't overclock)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: Just looking to get the best performance.

More about : 450 500 gaming

Best solution

February 1, 2012 6:47:12 AM

Your hard drive will be fine for now, but I would upgrade the PSU and vid card.

Motherboard - this - http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z68AP-D3-Intel-1155-M... $108.99
or this - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z68-V-LX-Intel-Motherboard... $109.99
Processor - Core i3-2100 - $99.99
Ram - http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC3-10666-240-Pin... $39.99
Vid card - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-6850-Video-100315... $134.99
Case - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $52.83
Power Supply - http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Modular-Performanc... $56.99

Subtotal before rebates or shipping, etc... $493.78

You can also reuse your current DVD drive if it is SATA.

This system will be more than adequate for your needs plus allow some upgrades in the future.

Share
February 1, 2012 6:51:18 PM

tlmck said:
Your hard drive will be fine for now, but I would upgrade the PSU and vid card.

Motherboard - this - http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z68AP-D3-Intel-1155-M... $108.99
or this - http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z68-V-LX-Intel-Motherboard... $109.99
Processor - Core i3-2100 - $99.99
Ram - http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC3-10666-240-Pin... $39.99
Vid card - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-6850-Video-100315... $134.99
Case - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $52.83
Power Supply - http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Modular-Performanc... $56.99

Subtotal before rebates or shipping, etc... $493.78

You can also reuse your current DVD drive if it is SATA.

This system will be more than adequate for your needs plus allow some upgrades in the future.

Woah, that's way better than what I could put together for under $500, haha. Thanks a ton :) 
And yea, I forgot to add that to the topic post, but yea..the DVD drive in here is SATA.
Score
0
Related resources
February 1, 2012 7:14:20 PM

I tweaked it a little bit and saved some more cash

just depends on what you want to do I guess:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OEBILK/ref=ox_sc_a... $49.99

Video Card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z5GRVW/ref=ox_sc_a... $109.99

Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0WPLK/ref=ox_sc_a... $39.99

Ram: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ISXB4C/ref=ox_sc_a... $41.95

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SUO3SS/ref=ox_sc_a... $72

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEVGMO/ref=ox_sc_a... $99.99

Subtotal = $433.87 (With the extra money you saved, you can either buy 2 more 120mm fans for the top, or replace the 2 that are in it and put 4 new ones in (maybe one in the front) for better airflow.)

It's not a super system or highly upgrade-able but it will do what you want and then some.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 11:53:56 PM

Beitzel15 said:
I tweaked it a little bit and saved some more cash

just depends on what you want to do I guess:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OEBILK/ref=ox_sc_a... $49.99

Video Card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z5GRVW/ref=ox_sc_a... $109.99

Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0WPLK/ref=ox_sc_a... $39.99

Ram: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ISXB4C/ref=ox_sc_a... $41.95

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SUO3SS/ref=ox_sc_a... $72

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEVGMO/ref=ox_sc_a... $99.99

Subtotal = $433.87 (With the extra money you saved, you can either buy 2 more 120mm fans for the top, or replace the 2 that are in it and put 4 new ones in (maybe one in the front) for better airflow.)

It's not a super system or highly upgrade-able but it will do what you want and then some.


Not bad except for the poor quality power supply, old tech motherboard, and lesser video card.
Score
0
February 2, 2012 11:31:32 AM

That's not a "poor quality" its coolermaster and got good reviews?.. for that system, all you'd need is 300watts max to run it, so 500 will be plenty.

The motherboard is lower down than what you suggested and the same with the video card, but I figured if he was already on a $500 budget and just needed a system to run EQ2 and watch movies on, then this would save him $40-$50 and still do what he wants.
Score
0
February 2, 2012 12:03:38 PM

Beitzel15 said:
That's not a "poor quality" its coolermaster and got good reviews?.. for that system, all you'd need is 300watts max to run it, so 500 will be plenty.

The motherboard is lower down than what you suggested and the same with the video card, but I figured if he was already on a $500 budget and just needed a system to run EQ2 and watch movies on, then this would save him $40-$50 and still do what he wants.


Rule of thumb on reviews. I you put the part number followed by the word review into a Google search, and the vast majority of hits you get are from shopping sites only. move on to another product. In this case I found one legitimate review from a trusted source and it was not exactly glowing. For future reference, this site, Johnny Guru, and HardOCP are trusted sources for PSU reviews. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Score
0
February 11, 2012 11:50:13 PM

Best answer selected by Rivkah.
Score
0
February 12, 2012 12:44:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!