ATI diamond 5970 crashes computer. Please help.

rivu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hi so i recently got a diamond 5970 for 299$ on newegg.com, i thought it was a good deal but this card is giving me so much trouble.

These are the drivers i downloaded they seem extremely outdated
http://www.diamondmm.com/5970PE52G.php

It's not my power supply since it has 750W
My previous card was a GTX260

Also, is it possible to have 2 cards like my gtx and my new 5970? if yes, will it improve anything?.

I'm new to this so i don't know what else to say, ask anything if you can help. I will be reloading page every few mins.

Helltech

Distinguished
A 5970 is a beast of a card and consumes a lot of power. Even though your PSU is 750w, if its of bad quality it might only deliver 450w of power. So please list the PSU you have, is it could be a power problem.

Secondly get the newest drivers from the AMD website, don't worry about diamonds website.

Yes you can use your 260, you can use it for physx acceleration if you want to deal with hacked drivers. You could also use it to power even MORE screens. So you could use like 5 displays. However in games that dont use Physx (most of them), you will see no improvement.

I would download the drivers from the website that made the chip that is in your card, which is an AMD chip. Hence, AMD drivers. I would also like Helltech like to see the make and model of your power supply. Some generic brands are not able to deliver the correct power output to the high end components, therefore they more or less hiccup the components. Also, check your cooling; make sure your cooling is efficient and that the fan on the card is turned up correctly or if its moving at all.

You might want to see if the computer works with the old GTX260 you have to narrow down the problem.

rivu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

My PSU is a 750w Xigmatek so it's definitely not the problem. Getting new drivers now.

I do have 2 displays hooked up to my 5970 at the moment and another one waiting for a mini display adapter to arrive. 5 seems a bit too overkill at this point, but it is something i see myself getting into.

rivu

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

works fine with GTX260, everytime i try installing recommended drivers computer simply black screens.

I have never hear of Xigmatek before, maybe its credible. That may be the issue. if you want to run 5 monitors the 5970 should do it fine, it has enough horsepower to handle it. If you wanted to game on 5 monitors, then yes I would recommend more than 1 5970 maybe.

brown1e

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Have you followed the directions for driver installation? You should always remove all existing drivers. In your case the gtx 260 drivers. You then uninstall the 260 and install the 5970. After installing the 5970, it should at least run on windows default drivers. If it works to this point, then search for updated drivers via windows updates or as stated in a prior post, your manufacturers website. I would also suggest (since you are new to this) that you check your PSU ratings against the 5970 requirements. Let me know how you make out as there are a few other things you might try.

Bob