Sign in with
Your question
Closed

*First Build (Gaming mid-high end)

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2012 9:02:24 PM

Hey this is my first time building a computer, dont have a "lot" of knoledge, but just about enough, as well as google and tom'shardware to get help from. first just a few reminders:

*This build is maily for gaming as well as to run many programs which i cant on a mac(or at least would be easier on windows)(and maybe for a bit of storage)
*Excluding the case(which i've already bought) my budget would be around 1000£
*Space isnt really an issue.
*Wil buy these parts near May maybe june (basically no real deadline lol)
*My main website for purchasing parts is Overclockers.co.uk (if you have a few sugestions that deliver in the uk and is cheaper pls tell me)
*Going to spain in 2 weeks, can buy a few parts over there, which would be a bit cheaper due to VAT
*About the power supply i have no idea how much power ill need so if u can tell me pls do.
*Not sure what/how is/to overclock/ing, but i want to leave that in open, so if i do decide i want to overclock, i want to be able to.
*Also about Crossfire/SLI im not sure im gonna use it but i also want to leave it open to choose. Not sure if i need SLI to use a GPU and the CPUGPU together

Not sure what else to say. The main reason im posting here isnt really to find out what components to buy, as ive already done a lot of reseach on that (although i will listen to good arguments), what i want to know is if all my components are compatible with eachother, and if they can all be the same PC... and a few questions xD about my components. Ok here are the components:

Case- NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower Case - Orange/Black [PHAN001OR] (*Already Purchased)
CPU- Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail [BX80623I72600K]
Motherboard- Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBFIA-G0EAY00Z]
HDD &/or SSD- 1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5000AAKX) [WD5000AAKX]
1x Corsair Force GT 60GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CSSD-F60GBGT-BK) [CSSD-F60GBGT-BK]
RAM- G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL) [F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL]
GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE MAFIA 2 PC Game
PSU- OcUK Crusade 850W Quad Rail High Efficiency '80 Plus' Power Supply

Add Ons:
DVD drive- Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BluRay ROM / DVDRW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive - Black (Retail)
Card Reader- Akasa InterConnect Pro Card Reader - AK-HC-05BK [AK-HC-05BK]

A few pointers:
Yes my PSU is somewhat cheap for its voltage, but i know someone which says its good, clean and quiet. As well as reviews at oveclockers on each version(650w & 750w) sayingall three perform well performs. (also i like its colour ;)  ). But if it seems i dont need so much power i dont mind paying a similar price for a better 750w PSU from antec or something.

Not 100% sure about GPU, what i mean is im not sure about which series, i mean 590 and 580 seem too expensive, and people say the 570 stomps on 560s. (I'll play games like ESV:Skyrim and Battlefield 3). Also do i need a sound card? or is the motherboard sound caard already good?

The motherboard i might lose aguments, i mean i wouldnt mind getting a cheaper one, but the bluetooth on it is just so cool, and it has every feature such as both Crossfire and SLI(even though i'll only use SLI), and i seem quite set on the chipset (z68 chipset) to use both CPUGPU and another GPU, and for maybe future overclocking.

I think with the storage im fine, because the caviar blue's got good speed and size, while ill put the OS and a few more things on the SSD 60GB.

RAM wise i seem quite set, just a question, will all four 4gb cards fit on my motherboard?

And as for my CPU im pretty well set, the only other CPU i would buy would be the same version(k version?) i5. I know its expensive but, i preffer buying the i7 because i wont need to upgrade any time soon.

And if i get that blueray DVD drive, will it also play normal DVDs or only Bluerays? And what about games(probably a dumb question)? and is it a good drive? also i havent looked at it very well yet, does it write? and does this and the Akasa card reader both fit in my pc? with the right cabling?

And as for monitor, i'll use it with my TV(lol) untill i have money for a monitor(sugestions). and a keyboard ill buy a cheap one for the moment untill i got the cash(give me suggestions for my future keyboard though), and i already have a mouse(sugestions for the future too pls)

And about cooling i really need help, will i need watercooling or is fan cooling okay? and also give me recommendations.

Am i missing something important? Does this all fit? is it great?

In my Overclockers basket this all adds up to 1051.91£. if i can what should i buy in spain while on holiday for cheaper? and will certain things get cheaper untill may/june? the GPU i want to buy is on sale untill the end of the week, its actually one of the most expensive 570 series GPU for the price of one of the cheapests, should i buy it now or will the price go down untill may/june?
February 1, 2012 6:25:26 AM

I am not familiar with the power supply, but from various Google research, it does not appear promising on the quality front. Personally, I would stick with known and trusted brands such as Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, and XFX if available. These are also very good. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...

Other than that, it seems you have it figured out. CPU fan is fine. BlueRay will play and record DVD.

Some things may get cheaper as soon as Intel rolls out the new CPUs in April.
February 1, 2012 6:28:21 AM

You can downgrade the cpu to an i5 2500k if you are mainly gaming.

Cooling depends on whether you will OC and how far you want to push your cpu.
Related resources
February 1, 2012 7:33:35 AM

You don't need 16 GB of RAM for gaming, I have never hit over 5 GB other than when I specifically tried to by running multiple games. Downgrade to 2500k, you wont see a different in gaming. Invest the saving from those two in a more powerful GPU, you wont regret it.
February 1, 2012 7:37:43 AM

"Wil buy these parts near May maybe june (basically no real deadline lol) "

No reason to open this thread now, the market will change a lot there..
New Nvidia cards, new Intel CPUs. Wait till 3 or 2 weeks before the buy and open the thread again. So this way we can assemble a better rig
February 1, 2012 11:29:16 AM

Quote:
These are also very good. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products [...] sb850.html

That does look very good, would it really be trustworthy? the reviews seem great accept for one saying its not toatlly modular, what does that mean? i think ill buy that PSU thanks a lot. also thanks for telling me that its all compatible

Quote:
You can downgrade the cpu to an i5 2500k if you are mainly gaming.

Cooling depends on whether you will OC and how far you want to push your cpu.

The cpu i think ill stick with i7 because i dont want to buy the i5 for 150£? and then pay another 200£? for an i7 when its cheaper, i preffer to just pay the 250£ now and have it for half decade or more. And about the cooling, im not 100% sure about overclocking, but if its easy i shall do it soonish, if its difficult ill do it in a 1 or 2 years. but if u can recommend what to buy for cooling htat would be great.

Quote:
You don't need 16 GB of RAM for gaming, I have never hit over 5 GB other than when I specifically tried to by running multiple games

if i overkill RAM will it be faster than if i barelly have more than i need? if yes than ill just stick to that ram, i dont mind, but is the ripjaws i chose a good product?

Jsc ill have a look at those when i bought my components thanks :) 

And vitornob, i dont think i will be upgrading from my components if a new and better version comes out until june, i just want to know if ill the the prices for these will go down. Also i am pretty anxious to build this, so if i can buy this next month i probably will.
February 1, 2012 12:15:08 PM

2502799,7,1108843 said:
Quote:
That does look very good, would it really be trustworthy? the reviews seem great accept for one saying its not toatlly modular, what does that mean? i think ill buy that PSU thanks a lot. also thanks for telling me that its all compatible

Not totally modular only means that the main motherboard power cables are hard wired into the PSU. The remainder are connected by the user as needed. My OCZ is the same way. Makes sense since you need the mains anyway.

Quote:
...but if u can recommend what to buy for cooling htat would be great.

This cooler is very popular and very effective. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cooling/c...

Quote:
if i overkill RAM will it be faster than if i barelly have more than i need? if yes than ill just stick to that ram, i dont mind, but is the ripjaws i chose a good product?

For gaming, you will not notice the difference between 8 and 16gb. If you do other things such as video editing, virtual machines, etc., then the 16gb will be very handy. Also, GSkill is an excellent brand and RipJaws is basically their flagship product.
February 1, 2012 1:50:13 PM

Quote:
Not totally modular only means that the main motherboard power cables are hard wired into the PSU

so this should be easier to organise since there won't be extra unused cables inside my case right? but do all the cables that i need come with it?

Quote:
This cooler is very popular and very effective. http://www.novatech.co.uk/products [...] pk-r1.html

alright so air cooling seems fine, ill probably buy that one too, but do u know anything as good but more lets say colourfull lol, i would like to have a stylish inside as well xD

Quote:
For gaming, you will not notice the difference between 8 and 16gb. If you do other things such as video editing, virtual machines, etc., then the 16gb will be very handy.

since i might need to do videos and things in the future, ill just stick to 16gb, unless 1866hz is a lot better than 1600hz, than i would buy the better 8gb version, is the 1866hz noticably better? and will i be able to run it at max?

Also thanx so much for Novatech website, its a lot cheaper than overclockers in most products, and i can have a free delivery, while overclockers force u to pay 10£ for next day delivery which i dont need cause im not in a hurry. atm seems like u saved me about 50£ in total for my hardware
February 1, 2012 2:23:35 PM

Quote:

so this should be easier to organise since there won't be extra unused cables inside my case right? but do all the cables that i need come with it?

Yes. Semi-Modular is good. All the cables you need come supplied.

Quote:
since i might need to do videos and things in the future, ill just stick to 16gb, unless 1866hz is a lot better than 1600hz, than i would buy the better 8gb version, is the 1866hz noticably better? and will i be able to run it at max?

Seriously. Just get 8GB 1600MHz (2x4GB sticks) for now. If you ever see your system use even over 4GB of RAM ill be shocked. If you REALLY REALLY feel like you can use more, pick it up in a few months time when it will most likely be cheaper anyway or on a special discount offer of some kind. For now, its just not worth paying for something you wont use.

For UK suppliers, check all of the following for the best deals:

www.scan.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.aria.co.uk
www.dabs.co.uk
www.novatech.co.uk
www.amazon.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk

February 1, 2012 2:31:41 PM

There may be one extra cable from the PSU as they hard wire both styles of 12v motherboard cables(4 and 8 pin). I had no trouble tucking the extra one out of the way.

You could look at Zalman coolers although they are more expensive. Very good one though.
Blue - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-USA-CNPS9900MAX-R-Red-Co...
A different blue - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9700LED-CNPS9700-led...

1866 memory only comes into play with very heavy overclocking. Since the default bus speed on the Intel boards is 1333, you already have plenty of overhead room with the 1600.

Yeah. I found Novatech about a year ago and have pointed numerous people in that direction. No complaints yet. I think they have better prices due to the no frills approach. Their web site is adequate and not overblown with fancy graphics and such. Just what you need to get the job done.
February 1, 2012 6:05:07 PM

Quote:
Seriously. Just get 8GB 1600MHz (2x4GB sticks) for now. If you ever see your system use even over 4GB of RAM ill be shocked

alright im sold, too many people telling me i wont need it, plus i can always add more, its not like ill just throw the first 8gb set away when i want more.

Quote:
You could look at Zalman coolers although they are more expensive. Very good one though.

ill have a look, but do i just need one big fan? will that do?

February 1, 2012 9:36:16 PM

The only problem is, the G.Skill Ripjaws "Z" series only sell at 4x4gb, i can only get 2x4gb with the G.Skill Ripjaws "X" series which im assuming is older, so im thinking of just buying the 16gb and maybe selling half to someone for half the price.
February 2, 2012 9:23:56 PM

ok one more question i7 sandybridge for very cheap when the ivybridge comes out, or just buy the ivybridge while quite expensive because its a new release? Is the ivybridge a big improvement for mainly gaming? i mean i could just use the money from the cheaper i7 on a 580 gpu?
February 2, 2012 9:46:24 PM

3months is kinda long in the tech world, you might want to make another post maybe in late April. Cause you never know if there any new release that will be better and cheaper than the parts you selected.
February 3, 2012 2:19:35 PM

kk so ill just wait, then bum this thread, just hope the prices for the sandybridge do go down a lot
February 3, 2012 2:21:08 PM

i meant *"bump", and why can i not edit my messages?
!