Sign in with
Your question

Need HDD Help please

Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2001 6:52:16 PM

Hi,

I have recently installed an Promise Ultra 100 card in my pc to support my UDMA 66 HDD. I also installed Windows 2000 when Installing this card so I could have a nice fresh build.
The problem is when I go to power down my PC I hear the HDD power down as it normally does but then It powers back up , then powers back down and then up, then finally on the third power down it turns off.
My question is , Is this normal ? and does any one else have the same problem , Is It an Issue with the OS or the card ?

Thanks for any help

More about : hdd

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 15, 2001 7:37:05 PM

A few questions...
-Have you used this drive before (on the onboard controller or another system). I would try to get the drive working independent of the card first.

-How heavily loaded is your power supply? (how many drives, fans, etc., what CPU?) and how big is your power supply? I'm wondering if this new controller & drive is the straw that broke camels back...ie. your power supply isn't big enough.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
March 16, 2001 12:17:19 PM

Thanks for the reply ergeorge,

Yes I have been using my Quantum Fireball KA 20GB since I got it (about a year) using udma33 running from the onboard controller without any problems.

My power supply is rated at 235W , I have an AMD K6-2 480 , 2 CD drives , 3 PCI Devices and 1 AGP Device. Which I think Is more than enough so should'nt be causing any problems.

I remember seeing a patch or something from micro$oft about fast HDD shuting down too fast and causing some data loss, could this be something to do with it ?
Maybe to correct this problem it waits longer to shut my HDD down?

One option I remember in Win98 Is the option to disable fast shutdown in system informaton options, Is there such an option on Win2000 and If so would it help ?

I have also just noticed 4 of my devices are sharing IRQ 11
Promise Ultra 100 Card
SBLive
Ali to USB Host controller
ATI RageIIc AGP

Could this be causing a problem , or will it degrade my performance in any way , device manager reports no conflicts so Im guessing its ok for 4 devices to be sharing IRQ 11 because Win2000 wont let me change the resources on them to diffrent IRQ's ??<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Manny on 03/16/01 09:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 16, 2001 2:47:52 PM

Yea, if your power supply is healthy, 235w should be plenty. It just sounded kinda like a problem I had when I added to much to a weak PS once.

I don't think the MS fast shutdown stuff is the issue. At worst, that will corrupt your disk. Your boot sequence would get alot further then it seems to be. I would disable the fast shutdown anyway, but not in relation to this problem.

My next guess is to try rearranging your PCI cards. Take out anything non-critical, and try the promise card in different slots. Try to avoid the one right next to the agp slot. If you get it to work, start adding cards back in. I spent much time trying to get a network card to work under windows. I swapped slots with the sound card and it worked fine on the first try. For the record, it worked fine under Linux in both configs!?!
Good luck

In practice, there is.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 16, 2001 2:52:28 PM

How are your jumpers set on your two CD drives (and anything else you have on the IDE controllers)? If one of them is on the same controller that you took the HD off of, be sure to set it to master (NOT cable select). I've seen some bizarre problems with cable select.

In practice, there is.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 16, 2001 2:57:57 PM

Oops....
I just re-read your first post and realized I misread it the first time. I thought you were having these problems on booting (power-up), not power down. I don't think any of my suggestions have any relavance to your problem other then turning of fast-shutdown.
Sorry...very embarrasing :-/

In practice, there is.
March 16, 2001 4:13:06 PM

hehehe np mate , thanks for trying anyhow :) 
!