Question re: XP Welcome Screen

I just recently had to restore my OS WinXP Home due to a system failure.
After restoring from the OEM CD's I also installed WinXP SP2, which by the
way seems to have installed properly. Now at the welcome screen there are
no user icons to click on. I am the administrator of this pc. I also
checked in Control Panel>User Accounts>Change way users log on/off. There
are two options there one that says "Use Welcome Screen" and another "Use
Fast User Switching" they are both checked. Also there is a icon that says
Administrator with the picture I chose. The only time that a user icon
appears at the welcome screen is when it is password protected. I believe
there is some sort of simple option that I have overlooked. Can anyone tell
me how to get the user icon to show on the welcome screen with using the
password option? I would appreciate any help that you might be able to
provide.

Thanks,
James
2 answers Last reply
More about question screen

    James,

    I am assuming that you know the users are wiped when you reinstall the O/S.
    That would mean you have to reestablish any users you had in the prior
    installation, then set to password protect.

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:02:42 GMT, "J Stewart" <js7247@swbell.net> wrote:

    >I just recently had to restore my OS WinXP Home due to a system failure.
    >After restoring from the OEM CD's I also installed WinXP SP2, which by the
    >way seems to have installed properly. Now at the welcome screen there are
    >no user icons to click on. I am the administrator of this pc. I also
    >checked in Control Panel>User Accounts>Change way users log on/off. There
    >are two options there one that says "Use Welcome Screen" and another "Use
    >Fast User Switching" they are both checked. Also there is a icon that says
    >Administrator with the picture I chose. The only time that a user icon
    >appears at the welcome screen is when it is password protected. I believe
    >there is some sort of simple option that I have overlooked. Can anyone tell
    >me how to get the user icon to show on the welcome screen with using the
    >password option? I would appreciate any help that you might be able to
    >provide.

    From the start menu run "control userpasswords2" and make sure a check
    mark is in the box for "users must enter a name and password".

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Configuration Windows XP