Sign in with
Your question

750w PSU for GTX 580 SLI

Last response: in Components
May 16, 2012 12:09:03 AM

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. Before I begin, I just want to say I'm a bit new to building PCs, and I'm actually in the process of building my first Gaming PC, and I'm in a state of paranoia about my hardware choice, and I was wondering if anyone can give me advice or inform me if this hardware I chose is good enough.

The two components in question are:

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 Superclocked SLI

Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series HX750W 750W PSU

Basically, I want to know if this PSU is enough to support my video card. I've been told the GTX 580 is quite the power hog, and I've had bad experiences with PC's burning out due to the lack of a decent PSU. I asked one of my friends if this supply was good enough, and he did not ease my thoughts at all because he said that 750w was not enough and that I can seriously damage my Graphics Card and other components.

In short, all I want to know is if I can safely run this GTX 580 SLI safely and without worry with this PSU. I'm a bit paranoid about this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

More about : 750w psu gtx 580 sli

a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 12:23:04 AM

If your actually going to be running two 580's in SLI then you definitely want a bigger PSU. For a single 580 card then the 750 is fine. Go up to an 850 if you plan on a high overclock system with a single 580.
Related resources
May 16, 2012 12:23:56 AM

I really appreciate your prompt answer and linking me that useful chart. But since I'm OCD'ing over this, just to be sure, will this limited PS damage my PC at all? I must admit I'm spending quite a lot of money on this rig and I want it to last for at least 4-5 years. I don't plan on overclocking the computer at all, but my friend tells me that with only 750w on such a powerful graphics card I could be risking hardware failure or generally frying the card.
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 12:40:52 AM

You won't fry the cards with these newer brand named PSUs.

Go for an 850W for the headroom. However, in that power consumption test they already had a Nehalem (130W) @ 3.7ghz.

A quality 850W should be plenty for SLI.
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 12:48:00 AM

Why GTX580 - good cards but not nearly as efficient as a GTX670. Do you have the 580s now? Were they a great buy?? GTX670 SLI would be awesome and a good 750W psu would be fine.
-Bruce
May 16, 2012 12:59:49 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Unforetunately it is too late to exchange the 750w for an 850w, which is the main reason I asked the question.

To answer your question Bruce, I picked up my 580 at a great price (around 289) and am very excited to use it.

Anyways, as long as the cosaire 750w will be enough to sustain my card and as long as the computer will last a good 4-5 years I'm happy.

May 16, 2012 2:08:44 AM

Take into account that those test were surely done using furmark or something similar, none game will stress a gpu that bad, you'll be fine with that psu.
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 10:17:03 AM

AnatoleV said:
Thank you all for the replies. Unforetunately it is too late to exchange the 750w for an 850w, which is the main reason I asked the question.

To answer your question Bruce, I picked up my 580 at a great price (around 289) and am very excited to use it.

Anyways, as long as the cosaire 750w will be enough to sustain my card and as long as the computer will last a good 4-5 years I'm happy.

Aging is going to make your PSU work pretty hard over the years. Corsair has an awesome long-term RMA service so you'll have some peace of mind. :) 
!