Windows 7 with new computer question

Hello, I want to know when building a new system and installing windows 7 - can custom built pc boot from usb disk? If not, then can it boot from a dvd drive? Thank you - I 'm using a full windows 7 download license which I burn the iso image to the dvd myself.
9 answers Last reply
More about windows computer question
  1. Hi :)

    WHERE did you get the license and has it been used before ?

    All the best Brett :)
  2. I got it from the official Microsoft store online - I know retail price is kinda bad but I'm using my Windows 7 now on my mac and plan to transfer that Windows 7 copy to my new desktop.
  3. basch99 said:
    I got it from the official Microsoft store online - I know retail price is kinda bad but I'm using my Windows 7 now on my mac and plan to transfer that Windows 7 copy to my new desktop.


    Hi :)

    As its already been used (the key) you are going to have to ring MS....

    I would love to hear that conversation lol (Mac), somehow I doubt they will allow its use again...

    All the best Brett :)
  4. no it's a transferable license from the US Microsoft store which retails for 200 dollars - I'm planning to remove windows 7 on my mac and put in on my new pc. Please answer my original question please.
  5. basch99 said:
    no it's a transferable license from the US Microsoft store which retails for 200 dollars - I'm planning to remove windows 7 on my mac and put in on my new pc. Please answer my original question please.



    Hi :)

    You can boot from any drive you wish.....but I have NEVER heard of a transferable licence :(

    And my shops sell Windows Operating systems....and I am a Microsoft partner....could you provide a link to this "Transferable Licence" please ?

    All the best Brett :)
  6. So what I mean, is that I can uninstall windows 7 and reinstall that same license on another computer - I was able to install windows 7 twice to my mac.
  7. basch99 said:
    So what I mean, is that I can uninstall windows 7 and reinstall that same license on another computer - I was able to install windows 7 twice to my mac.


    Hi :)

    No...not legally....different machine=NEW licence

    All the best Brett :)
  8. hello brett, this is what I mean

    definition of a full packaging product
    also known as Full Packaged Product (FPP). The full version of Windows has no limitation on how customers can install and use the OS, as long as each PC has its own legitimate license. Full retail can perform either clean (custom) and upgrade install, and can be transferred to upgraded or entirely new systems as long as only one copy is installed at a time. Full license is always the most expensive edition, and is normally purchased for computer that does not sold with Windows operating system originally.
  9. I'm going to uninstall the windows 7 currently on my mac - and re-install that in my new system - this way I am only using ONE license at any given time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Boot Components Product