Sign in with
Your question

Help with Low Power HTPC with DVR Capabilities

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2012 10:23:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: March 2012

Budget Range: about $800 (flexible if worth it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: DVR, 24/7 Media Server (Stream to Any Room), movies (3d HD) Hulu, Netflix, Music, Photos, web browsing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Harmony One remote

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Newegg

Parts Preferences:by brand or type: Open to suggestions but would like a low power solution compatible with the Ceton InfiniTV 4.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:No monitor

Additional Comments:
I am considering building a HTPC mainly as a DVR and 24/7 Media Center. I plan to extend it to an XBox 360 in another room but it needs to have an HDMI (Video/Audio) out as I would like for it to connect to my audio receiver in my living room without any quality loss. I would also like to be able to access all my media on all my devices (Android tablet, other pcs). I don’t know if Media Center will allow me to do all this. I don't care for gaming as I already have a pc for this but it should be good enough to watch 3D HD content and record mulitiple HD channels. I would also like for this system to be low power as I expect it to be on 24/7. I have seen ITX builds with an AMD Fusion on this board that run less than 80W but I don’t know if something like this would have enough power for what I want. Finally I would like to control it with a Harmony One remote but don’t know what I would need for this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

o0Punisher0o
February 1, 2012 12:23:28 AM

No word on a release date or price, but you may want to take a look at the Ceton Q device being developed. As I understand it, Single box, 6 Tuners (network-able), blu-ray drive. May not do everything you want but maybe something to look into.

As for specs to an HTPC system, look to my signature for a reference point. I'm not certain if the AMD APUs are HD3D capable, but it they are, they'd be my recommendation.

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 1, 2012 8:44:32 AM

I will look into the Centon Q. How much power does your system use? Also can a sleep/wake mode be scheduled on a HTPC, wake on lan or through the Centon software? If so, that could possibly solve some of the power issues and maybe I can upgrade to an i3 or i5.
m
l
February 1, 2012 12:52:46 PM

To be honest, I have no idea how much power my HTPC uses. I've just accepted the fact that I'm going to have to pay the extra energy costs for having it on 24/7 as I've not been very good at getting a good, working sleep/wake function going. As I understand it, you can get an HTPC set up to sleep and wake when a recording is scheduled (I just haven't bothered with it that much).

-Wolf sends
m
l
!