Sign in with
Your question

Connecting from external hard drive (USB 2.0) to my television HDMI hub

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2011 9:39:11 AM

Hello,

how to connect from external hard drive (USB 2.0) to my television HDMI hub? my television doesnt have USB 2.0 hub
February 26, 2011 12:10:21 AM

that is a cool gadget , but i cant affort for that price.. what i looking for is something just like a cable converter... and while still looking for a suitable cable, i already bought a NEW DVD Player yesterday, hahaha!!! BTW, thanks for ur help, Emerald!
m
l
February 26, 2011 2:18:43 AM

A simple cable converter is not enough. In fact, cabling is the least of your problems. You need something that takes the raw data off the HD and converts it into a usable audio/video stream. That stream is then fed to the TV over HDMI. That's why you need a PC, XBOX, whatever, that can make that happen, ideally something you already own so you can save some money.

For example, it's entirely possible these days that a dvd/blu-ray player might have a USB port and the software to take the data, process it, and stream it over the dvd/blu-ray player’s HDMI port! Knowing that, you could then shop for a dvd/blu-ray player w/ this feature and perhaps only spend a few more bucks.

What Emerald was suggesting was a standalone device, something that will always work (that’s its purpose). But you can save money if you can leverage existing devices that *may* already have this capability built-in, like those previously suggested. But there’s no “magic cable” that’s going to make it happen.

Here’s an example of a much cheaper standalone device:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDTV-Media-Player...

This is the first generation of these WD media players. It’s not networked like the second and third generation products, so that’s a downside. But if you examine the back, you’ll see it has both a USB (input) port and HDMI (output) port. That box does the transformation from raw data to usable audio/video stream. The thing you still have to be careful with, though, is that whatever device you use, make sure it can handle your raw data types (avi, divx, mp3, mp4, mkv, etc.).

I’m just using the WD media player as an example. This particular model is actually priced too high at the moment, esp. being a refurb. It has been as little as $45-50 in the recent past. Seagate has something similar. So if you don’t have an existing device like a PC, XBOX, etc., you’ll have to consider something along these lines.

m
l
Related resources
!