phyguy603

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello,
This is an issue that has been on and off for some time now. I'll put my computer in S3 hibernate mode and when I go to resume the computer will turn on but the video will not turn on. the only way to get it back is to restart. Then, a couple weeks later, it will start coming on again. And begins the viscous cycle.

I have updated video drivers
everything is enabled to wake up S3(using wireless keyboard, usb mouse).
powercolor 4830
msi AMD 790x

Solution
I just fixed that problem on my system, after years of accepting it. My Asus motherboard power settings had something like "Re-post video on wake from S3". Turned it off, and the system wakes up just fine. I guess Re-post didn't mean put it up again, but run the Power-On Self Test.

If you are running Win7, look up the difference between Sleep and Hybrid Sleep and set accordingly. My PC was defaulting to Hybrid Sleep, which writes a hiberfile just in case. So after waking up with no video, I would reboot and the darn thing would resume from hibernation - although I had not hibernated!

Let me know if this works for you

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Problems coming out of hibernate mode are usually PSU related. In your case, I would probably try to replace it with maybe something like this:

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

You can always set it so that your computer doesn't hibernate, but I don't know if that's something you want or not. I'm guessing the system probably seems to run fine otherwise. Regardless, the PSU is probably on its way out, and I would recommend replacing it sooner rather than later since it is an Ultra PSU, a brand I don't consider to be reliable.

Edit: I have heard of cases where certain motherboards have problems coming out of hibernate mode. I'm not sure if that factor is in play here, but maybe someone else can come along and provide some insight into that.

phyguy603

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I really doubt the case is having any effect on it seeing as how it's the same case I've had since '06. The PS issue sounds like a reasonable suggestion though, thank you for the input

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

When I said "cases", I meant situations, not the actual case itself. Sorry for the confusion. I suppose I should've picked a different word considering we are talking about computer parts here :whistle:

I just fixed that problem on my system, after years of accepting it. My Asus motherboard power settings had something like "Re-post video on wake from S3". Turned it off, and the system wakes up just fine. I guess Re-post didn't mean put it up again, but run the Power-On Self Test.

If you are running Win7, look up the difference between Sleep and Hybrid Sleep and set accordingly. My PC was defaulting to Hybrid Sleep, which writes a hiberfile just in case. So after waking up with no video, I would reboot and the darn thing would resume from hibernation - although I had not hibernated!

Let me know if this works for you

Solution