Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Build - Last Check Before Purchasing

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 12:56:44 AM

Hey Guys -

After doing quite a bit of research, here's what I've come up with for my first build. It will almost solely be used for gaming:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.66 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Microcenter with CPU Bundle Deal)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular ($77.99 @ Amazon after rebate)

I'm looking mostly at Microcenter and Amazon, since I have gift cards to use there.

I'm going to be using an old GeForce 8800GT for the time being, with the plan to upgrade very soon. Anything else not listed I already have.

Here are my questions -

I picked that mobo because I've heard generally good reviews, and I can get it with the $50 off deal at micro center. Would you recommend going for something else? I am planning on overclocking, and possibly eventually SLI.

For cases, I'm torn between the NZXT Phantom 410 and the Corsair Carbide Series 400R. I'm seeing both of them for the same price, so does anyone have any opinions on which is best?Are there any issues of components not fitting together in certain cases?

Any different recommendations on a PSU? I was looking at the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W, since it's $53.78 on Amazon after rebate, but was seeing some iffy reviews. Is the Fatal1ty worth the extra $20, or should I go with something other than OCZ?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks SO much for all of the help - can't wait to start ordering!

edit: added link to RAM and mobo
February 1, 2012 5:50:52 AM

The case is more of a personal choice. I would say look at the Coolermaster HAF series as an option. Very popular right now at a decent price.

If anything, the ModXtreme Pro is rated higher by most trusted sites than the Fatality. I have the 600 watt MOD and it is very good. It is overkill for my system, but is in place for future upgrades.

Everything else looks good.
m
l
February 1, 2012 6:15:28 AM

^+1

Actually, link the RAM again. I can't see it.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2012 6:27:16 AM

vollman1 said:
^+1

Actually, link the RAM again. I can't see it.

Ram is Gskill Sniper. Anything Gskill will work here.
m
l
February 1, 2012 6:31:19 AM

some are low voltage like 1.25V

Edit:

Just caught the link, you're good with those
m
l
!