Sign in with
Your question

Cutting out a spot for my cpu fan on mobo tray? hmm

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2012 6:01:40 AM

i have a cooler master hyper n 520 cpu fan, and as you know there a pain to install and uninstall. i have a ultra m998 case with a metal slide out mobo tray. theres no cpu fan cut out on the tray but im planning on making one myself and cutting out a hole. do you think it will make the motherboard tray to weak? it would make things ALOT easier having a cutout on the tray can someone elaborate if they think it would be a bad thing to do
a c 283 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 6:05:37 AM

After the back plate is installed, there should be no need to access the back of the mobo again, unless you have a reason of some kind.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 6:06:35 AM

Nope, I see no issue with a suitable sized square, angle grinder or dremel, warm it up man :) 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 6:15:40 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Nope, I see no issue with a suitable sized square, angle grinder or dremel, warm it up man :) 
Moto

im deffintley going to make a cut out now, such a huge pain in the a&$ having to take the entire computer apart to reinstall thermal paste or swap cpus !
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 6:21:18 AM

radeoniscool said:
im deffintley going to make a cut out now, such a huge pain in the a&$ having to take the entire computer apart to reinstall thermal paste or swap cpus !

Just had a look at how the N 520 installs and I see your point now. That's very inconvenient. It SHOULD be like the 212+/Evo and allow you to take the HSF off without taking the back plate off.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 6:30:11 AM

Even on my crazyass W/c rig, I made sure I could swap cpu's out without having to strip the whole Pc down hehe, I would cut a hole in a mobo tray without blinking
Moto
m
l
!