can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 19, 2005 7:10:40 PM

The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
infrared in the camera.

So I asked Canon support if the A95 could be used with an infrared
filter to take infrared pics.
they replied:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Since the PowerShot A95 is not supported being used with an infrared
filter, we cannot guarantee or confirm how it will work. You'll need to
try it and see how it turns out.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Angela
Technical Support Representative

--gee thanks for helping!-- i still don't know the answer...
anyone in this group know if the A95 is sensitive to infrared?
any knowledge as to any specific digital camera that is, or is not,
sensitive to infrared?
anyone have an infrared filter and can give it a try with their digital
camera?

Thanks in advance,
~steve
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:38:42 PM

thanks to all who responded! and thanks Owamanga for the time searching!
as usual, newsgroups are better than the manufacturers for unusual
questions!

gotta get me a R72
Cheers!
~steve

Owamanga wrote:

><<snip>>
>
>Okay, I've bunged all of that into the search box and 20 minutes later
>it came back with this guy's samples: A95 with a Hoya R72 filter
>
>http://www.pbase.com/eddyb/ir
>
>Have fun, show us what you end up with.
>
>--
>Owamanga!
>http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:11:55 PM

These days cameras have more aggressive IR cut filters than before.

If you want infrared pics, try a DSLR (Canon 300D, Nikon D70, etc.)
with the IR filter removed. See the links at the end of:

http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

for how to remove the IR filter.
May 19, 2005 11:25:44 PM

> The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
> were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
> infrared in the camera.

Maybe. Depends on the camera. My friend wrote an article about this.
Here's a link. You can test if the camera supports IR by taking a photo of
an IR remote control when the IR light is activated (pushing channels
button?).

http://www.photozo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6955&highl...

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
May 20, 2005 2:32:06 PM

River Horse <hippoCANoSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
>were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
>infrared in the camera.

A sony V3 has an infrared mode along with night shot (ir iluminator)

Wes