myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Motherboard - msi p67a-g43
cpu - i5 2500k
case - nzxt phantom
psu - corsair 700w gaming
memory - 4x4gb patriot g2

Finally got everything running. Bios came right up and I started setting it up... and then noticed my cpu was running 90C and kept rising. Turned it off immediately when I saw that... getting a better cooler tomorrow and thermal compound. So hopefully that issue will be resolved.

The real problem though is that I'm using my hard drive from my old computer... It's SATA and not particularly old, but I did NOT format it because it had important files on it and I've no place to back them up atm. Will there be an issue loading up bios again after I hook up the new cooler and all that? I ask because I booted the pc for a moment to find out how it would load exactly and it just started up windows like with my old computer.

This is the last question I got. Appreciate all the help thus far!

Solution

You sure you got that cooler mounted correctly I don't know of any stock cooler that would cause a CPU's temps to go that high. it almost seems like the cooler isn't fully in contact with the CPU.

For your other problem what is the OS of the older computer? If the OS is Vista or 7 it is possible to install a new copy onto the drive...
Most of the time, people get BSODs when they change out their motherboard without reinstalling Windows.

Usually this only doesn't happen if the new motherboard is very close to the old one.

I would guess that it would show the Windows loading animation and some time during the loading it will crash.

caqde

Distinguished

You sure you got that cooler mounted correctly I don't know of any stock cooler that would cause a CPU's temps to go that high. it almost seems like the cooler isn't fully in contact with the CPU.

For your other problem what is the OS of the older computer? If the OS is Vista or 7 it is possible to install a new copy onto the drive without losing any data. XP isn't this kind.

If it is Vista or 7 go through the install process choosing Custom install and select the partition that Vista/7 is on DO NOT FORMAT OR REPARTITION THE DRIVE, what windows will do is move the data from the old installation into a folder called Windows.old that way you can get all your data from the previous installation while having a clean install for your new hardware. This type of installation does add time onto a normal install though so give it a bit longer than you normally would. (The Windows.old folder will contain your users, Program files, and windows directories all other folders you made on the C: drive will still be where they were.)

Solution

myxoma

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Excellent. That's exactly what I needed to know. Even if I don't have the cooler mounted right I don't have any spare thermal compound unfortunately, so I suppose I'll pick some up tomorrow and take care of it then. Thanks for the informative response.

Status
Not open for further replies.