Closed Solved

Monitor Selection: LED Backlight Yes/No

Hi All,

Sorry if this isn't the right sub.

I just bought
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

But my eyes have started to hurt almost the minute after power up.
(I've lowered the brightness and I THINK disabled color-boosting)
And I never get this feeling with my Macbook pro (LED glossy screen)

Should I have gotten this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Thanks for your help!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor selection backlight
  1. Best answer
    The second monitor is by far the better quality. LED rather than LCD and higher contrast ratio too.

However, I don't think this would really help your eye strain. LED and a higher contrast ratio is likely to lead to a much brighter screen than the current LCD one you already have.

It's difficult to establish what's causing more stress on your eyes. The likely cause is the size difference of the screen, compared to your MAC, and the distance you are away from then screen when using it. Image crispness and brightness can also be factors.

If you have the option to send back your current monitor and buy the one of the second link, I would do it anyway for the sake of a better quality monitor. However, I don't believe it will be any less strain on your eyes.
  2. Best answer selected by wolffang15.
  3. check your refresh rate is 60 Hz
  4. I have this same experience any time I try to use my wife's pc. Almost instantaneous vertigo like symptoms. I don't know if it's because I run my monitors at 75hz while her's are 60hz. I don't know if it's because I've become accustomed to IPS vs TN. All I know is I can't use her monitor at all. The funny thing is that her pc used to be mine. I used it for 2 years with the same exact monitor and it never once bothered me.

I think our eyes become accustomed to certain setups and when you switch if the quality is lower your eyes need that time to readjust.

The only thing I could recommend is to go in person and see different screens at a local electronics store to see which of those bother you. Moving up in frequency to say 120hz could solve your issues all together, dunno.
  5. a4mula said:
    The only thing I could recommend is to go in person and see different screens at a local electronics store to see which of those bother you. Moving up in frequency to say 120hz could solve your issues all together, dunno.

+1 if an option, this is by far your best way to try to determine what's causing the problem. Try sitting/standing in front of a 120Hz refresh rate monitor (3D monitor - even if in 2D mode) and see if its any less harsh on your eyes. You can also get "gaming glasses" I believe, kind of "gimmicky" but they actually reduce the brightness on your eyes and supposedly reduce eye strain. Again, worth a try - your eyes are important :)
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems Product