Case provided me 3 standoffs, enough?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Configuration
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 16, 2012 7:33:48 AM

My In-Win Mana 134 case provided me three standoff pieces for my mobo (MSI H61M-P23 B23). Several bleeding fingers and a couple hours later, I'm thinking that it's literally impossible for the mobo to fit through the io shield with the standoffs. There are four standoff holes on the mobo and the case, and three physical standoffs, so obviously, there has to be a configuration where one of the holes is not going to be used. I just don't know which hole gets skipped. The one closest to the io shield? The one on the top? Bottom? I've kinda jammed it in the io shield right now, but it's not the proper flush way that it should be. I think it's also preventing me from putting an Asus 5450 in the PCIe slot because the metal piece of the card where it will eventually be flush with the case so I can screw it down seems to be just a few mm too long so I can't push down the card properly. Any tips?

More about : case provided standoffs

a c 104 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 8:13:42 AM

Contact In Wins support desk, you should have a full complement of standoffs, one is obviously missing,
I/o shiels do have some resistance, there are little springleaves on the rear of the shield that push against the sockets, but in the meantime I would either source another standoff from somewhere or wait for In Win to send some more out
as for the gfx card, make sure the bottom tab is inserted correctly, this should let the cards pci slot bracket sit almost flat to the surface, then screw it on,
pics would help us gauge the severity though if you could?
Moto
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 10:15:59 AM

Does your case have some 'bumps' or 'dimples' with screw holes on the motherboard shelf?
Some budget cases use those as standoffs.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 10:19:30 AM

the lower edge of the gpu's metal case mouinted bracket may not be slipping cleanly between the mobo and the edge of the case, or may be impacting on something below the mobo, like a lip in the metal.

IO shields are a pain in the backside, i have always folded the tabs so they are more open and then it fits easier. My latest asuis board has a foil covered sponge material, (no tabs) so it maintains contact pressure and earthing, but is so easy to fit. Love it.

try 'dry fitting' the IO shield to the mobo out of the case to ensure there is nothing catching, then IO first into case, and then mobo into case and dock with IO shield.
m
l

Best solution

a c 139 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 10:22:28 AM

This should be what the inside of your InWin Mana 134 looks like.
To me it seems as though there are a bunch of the built in standoffs
that would raise the motherboard above the motherboard tray.
You'd just rest the motherboard on those bumps and use the screws without a stand off. You'd use a brass standoff anywhere the motherboard has a screw hole where a bump was not also there.

a c 94 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 10:38:05 AM

Correct. If you have raised bumps then those are the standoffs. Don't put the three standoffs in there or you'll never get it to fit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 11:57:17 AM

4745454b said:
Correct. If you have raised bumps then those are the standoffs. Don't put the three standoffs in there or you'll never get it to fit.

However, note the 3 holes between the two lower rows of horizontal bumps, I suspect thats where the standoffs would fit for certain Mobo sizes, probably matx, hence only 3 standoffs.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 12:01:10 PM

13thmonkey said:
probably matx, hence only 3 standoffs.
I think you're right.
m
l
May 16, 2012 1:28:39 PM

WR2 said:
This should be what the inside of your InWin Mana 134 looks like.
To me it seems as though there are a bunch of the built in standoffs
that would raise the motherboard above the motherboard tray.
You'd just rest the motherboard on those bumps and use the screws without a stand off. You'd use a brass standoff anywhere the motherboard has a screw hole where a bump was not also there.

http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P600-0343264-05.jpg

Correct.
m
l
May 16, 2012 11:07:07 PM

WR2 said:
Does your case have some 'bumps' or 'dimples' with screw holes on the motherboard shelf?
Some budget cases use those as standoffs.

SON OF A *****

Yes, my case does have little raised things. I was placing the standoffs on top of those.

SD:LKJFLKSDJF:LKSDJFL:KDSJF:LKDSJF:LKDSJ

I'm going to not use standoffs this time and report back.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 16, 2012 11:14:03 PM

You're not the first (not by a long long way), and you certainly won't be the last, to be tripped up by that little 'gotcha'.

By the way - that's the best looking InWin case I've seen. Much better than their usual budget fare.
m
l
May 17, 2012 12:59:52 AM

WR2 said:
You're not the first (not by a long long way), and you certainly won't be the last, to be tripped up by that little 'gotcha'.

By the way - that's the best looking InWin case I've seen. Much better than their usual budget fare.

Heh, thanks. Makes me a feel a little better.

Now I need to get the computer to recognize my bootable USB so I can install Windows on it.

In other news, video card, mobo, hardware, all installed successfully. I think. I did get an error message about a "processor or memory being changed" which I ignored and went into bios to restart the computer to use the bootable usb. But I had dropped in a driver file that I needed into the bootable drive to transfer elsewhere and although I deleted it previous to Windows installation, it seemed to warrant me having to redo the bootable-ness of the USB.

Thanks everyone for their help!
m
l
May 17, 2012 1:00:32 AM

Best answer selected by rebelx.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2012 8:18:42 AM

WR2 said:

^+10 , looks a bit fractally to me.

To the OP: Also the way that you failed, is the much much better way to fail, i've been involved in two threads in the last 2-3 months where no standoffs were used, with no dimples, and as best I could tell it killed something out of the mobo/process/ram/psu. I'm sure there were plenty of other threads that I didn't see.

Glad you've got it all working.
m
l
!