Sign in with
Your question

Future Build (I need some help)

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 4:00:33 AM

So I am 16 (pretty young) and its always been my dream to build a super strong gaming computer. Over the last three years my knowledge of computers has dramatically expanded. I am very confident that I could build a computer. I don't have the money for the build I want :( , but this is more of a future build anyway. I was hoping for tips and can you tell me if some parts wont work with each other.

Specs:
Case - Cooler Master HAF 922M-KKN1
Motherboard - ASUS Intel Z68 Deluxe
CPU - Intel i7 - 2600k
GPU - EVGA (Nvidia) GeForce GTX 580 3GB Model
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3 4 GB x 4
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 5400 RPM (i know 7200 RPM is standard, but I heard this one is good??)
Liquid Cooling System - Corsair Hydro Series H80 (the H100 uses two rear fans, which is not supported by the case, I am okay with that though)
Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt Modular (I was think about the 850 watt one??)
Optic Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST x 2 ( as in two drives, not read speed :)  )
Fan Controller - NZXT Sentry LX
Monitor - ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch 1080p ( I already have this )

The build runs about ~ $2000

Thanks for your time :) 

More about : future build

February 1, 2012 4:51:44 AM

The "green" hard drive would be fine if you had an SSD in front of it as your OS drive. Even at 7200 RPM, the green drives are slow. They are mainly made for standard systems that need lots of storage space like say a DVR or HTPC. On a gaming system without a SSD, you want at least a 7200 RPM SATA 6gb/s hard drive from 1tb on up.

Also for a gaming rig, 8gb ram(2x4gb) DDR3 1600 is plenty.

And you do not really need 2 DVD drives unless you just want them.

The fan controller would also be somewhat of a waste.

The power supply depends on what your intentions are with the video card. If you are thinking dual cards, then 750 watt is fine. For single card you could go down to 650 watt, and for triple card maybe up to 1000 watt as 850 would be pushing it slightly with three of those card.

For the video card itself, the new AMD 7970 card would be a better choice. Your motherboard has PCIe 3.0 slots. Might as well take advantage of them.

I just configured a Cyber Power build for another guy in these forums as he did not want to build it himself. It was around $1850 or so with a 120gb SSD, 1tb storage drive, 7970 card, 8gbram, a similar case/PSU, and a i5-2500k. I could have changed to the i7-2600k and that would have brought it to around $2,000.

And this is with someone else building for him and charging for a warranty, etc. So you should be able to save a few hundred by building yourself.

m
l
February 1, 2012 5:37:02 AM

If you want to save some money, you can drop the i7 2600k and go with an i5 2500k. Gaming would not be that much better using the i7.
m
l
February 1, 2012 12:16:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the help! :) 
m
l
!