Sign in with
Your question

All Purpose Tame Monster Build Advices

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 4:18:42 AM

Hi, I'm making the last runs of evaluation for an all purpose middle-to-heavy-weight new build. I would like the advice of people who built new systems in the last 3 to 6 months about the performance results, as well as any alternative parts advice.

My current list is as follows:

- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
- MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
- RAM: CORSAIR 16GB(4x4GB) Vengeance Gold 1600MHz CL9
- SSD: CORSAIR 120GB Force 3 Serisi Sata 3.0 SSD
- HDD: (will use 2TB WD Caviar Green SATA2 from previous build, no new purchase)
- GPU: ASUS HD6970 DirectCU II GDDR5 2GB 256Bit AMD Radeon DX11
- Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 PLUS GX 80PLUS 750W Midtower

This configuration comes to $1570 + VAT ($1850 total) in my area. I would like to keep the price between $1600 and $1900 total (VAT included), so keep that in mind for your part advices please. The parts listed above are the only parts I will be buying. So no need for advice on unlisted parts. (Though if you recently bought an unlisted part that you immediately fell in love at a distrubing level, feel free to promote it.)

Intended use of the system will be somewhat mixed. I will be using this machine both for work (office intensive) and gaming, as well as for home cinema. Most of the time I watch some movie at the side while working, or play a windowed game while waiting for some boring task (not diagnostics, mostly document parsing, PDF conversion, etc), and almost always I have one or two multi-tab Firefox windows open on the background, so multitasking and capacity are non-negotiable.

I will not provide website links since I am not in US. In fact I am more interested in part alternatives which are relatively less expensive while providing a close level of performance.

Another big concern is longevity of the system. I rarely find the chance to spend big on computer hardware, so this build will have to last me for at least 4-5 years with gradual changes in unlisted peripherals.

I am considering safe overclock, barring an alternative way for above-medium performance or a persuasive argument that I definitely would not require it.

In that context, I am undecided on the GPU. Though there are many great ones out there, and many more are coming, I won't be burning the night's oil before GPU monster games. I will definitely sample, even regularly enjoy them, but it wouldn't be worth for me to buy a GPU worth as much as the sum of the rest of the list.

My current monitor (Philips 190WV) tops out at 1140x900, so it will be the first unlisted peripheral I will consider changing to match the new system. Advice on worthy (and economic) monitors would be early, but still welcome.

I am moderately concerned about power and noise issues, so some advice on these issues (based on experince, preferably) would be welcome.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
February 1, 2012 4:38:06 AM

Other than the case PSU combo, it looks very good. Coolermaster makes most excellent cases, but not so much on the power supplies. By the case separately and get a Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Antec or XFX PSU of at least 80 Plus Bronze Certification. Will probably not be too much more expensive if at all.

Unless you plan on adding a second video card later, you can easily drop to a 650 watt PSU to save a few dollars.
February 1, 2012 8:15:57 AM

If by "office intensive" you mean using Microsoft office programs like Word and Excel I see no reason to buy the i7-2600k over the i5-2500k for this build. The same applies to 16GB RAM. It will not help in office applications, nor will it make a difference in games. Unless your heavily into Photoshop or Adobe After effects or a similar program where hyper threading and large amounts of RAM are actually made use of, the extra cost just isn't justifiable.

The most intensive purpose for the system, between the three requirements listed (work/gaming/htpc), is by far gaming.

i5-2500k/2x4GB 1600MHz will give the same performance and save you over $100 to put towards that new monitor.

February 7, 2012 1:56:00 AM

I took tlmck's and AdrianPerry's advices on case, CPU and RAM, and put the resulting savings towards future monitor savings and better power&cooling which I understand I will definitely need.

So I more or less decided on the following build. However, I would still like to hear advice on alternatives, especially some solid (experience based) advice on GPU and SSD would be appreciated.

I provide links only for reference since prices in my area are quite different.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 412S

Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9

SSD: OCZ 120GB Agility 3 Sata 3.0 SSD (525MB Read/ 500MB Write)

GPU: ASUS HD6970 DirectCU II GDDR5 2GB 256Bit

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER

PSU: CORSAIR GAMING SERIES 80 PLUS 800W 140MM
!