Sign in with
Your question

Modem or router

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2011 4:31:23 PM

Hi, I currently have a Motorola modem, which is unreliable so I want to upgrade.
My question is: What's the difference between modems and routers an what should I get? I don't need any ultra high-end thing just a reliable modem/router for surfing the Internet and some light gaming (mainly COD4).

More about : modem router

February 19, 2011 5:17:43 PM

what makes you think that your modem is unreliable?

a modem will convert you internet connection (cable or DSL) to a Network or USB connection that a computer can connect to.

a router takes the network connection from the modem and will allow more then one computer or internet capable device to connect via wire or wireless. a router will not provide internet connection without a modem.

a modem-router (ADSL router) combines the two into one device.

a cable router (router with a build in cable modem) is hard to find.
February 19, 2011 6:21:01 PM

Emerald said:
what makes you think that your modem is unreliable?

a modem will convert you internet connection (cable or DSL) to a Network or USB connection that a computer can connect to.

a router takes the network connection from the modem and will allow more then one computer or internet capable device to connect via wire or wireless. a router will not provide internet connection without a modem.

a modem-router (ADSL router) combines the two into one device.

a cable router (router with a build in cable modem) is hard to find.

It's unreliable because it often loses connection.
Related resources
February 19, 2011 8:52:08 PM

are you using DSL or Cable?
Anonymous
February 19, 2011 9:03:12 PM

The OP posted that he had a Motorola modem, so it's probably cable.
February 19, 2011 10:22:45 PM

Once you know for sure that the problem is with the modem (routers are more typically the point of failure in home networks), call your ISP and tell them you're having problems with the modem and you would like a replacement.
Anonymous
February 20, 2011 2:42:43 PM

That's a DSL modem and would not work. You should have your ISP check the signal levels on your current modem.
!