Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not Allowed To Edit My Own Message?

Last response: in Forum Feedback
April 8, 2011 4:31:26 PM

I don't seem to be able to edit my own posts other than using the quick edit functionality.

I can click on the edit button and the edit form appears however when I press select I get presented with a page stating "You are not allowed to edit this message!"

More about : allowed edit message

Best solution

April 10, 2011 11:42:15 AM

You can only use the quick edit function.Only mods can use the normal "edit"
It's locked to other users because there are some options which only mods can change(such as make it a sticky topic etc.)
Related resources
April 10, 2011 8:52:52 PM

Best answer selected by Rusting In Peace.
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:48:13 AM

Maziar said:
You can only use the quick edit function.Only mods can use the normal "edit"
It's locked to other users because there are some options which only mods can change(such as make it a sticky topic etc.)

Actually normal users should be able to use full edit, since the mod-only options won't show up for them anyway. The problem is that it sometimes just doesn't work, and this is most common on the UK forum.
m
l
April 14, 2011 7:27:27 PM

Before i become a mod,I tried using the full edit.My message showed up but when I clicked on "Save changes", it got the same error as OP.
And I were in the US forums
m
l
April 14, 2011 10:59:34 PM

I just tried this with my other user account (non-mod), and I was able to use the full edit function.
m
l
April 14, 2011 11:05:04 PM

Yep, my full edit seems to work too.
m
l
April 16, 2011 7:43:03 AM

Strange,maybe something has changed then. Because when I weren't a mod, I couldn't at all use the "full edit" function.
@ OP
In which forums do you have this issue ? UK or US ?
m
l
April 17, 2011 2:27:00 PM

Switch to US forums then and see if it helps.
m
l
April 18, 2011 6:47:11 AM

Makes no diifference here, I'm afraid. The ongoing problems with UK posters Badges failing to show is also the same when looking only at the US Forum. A couple of weeks back, I posted for three days from a Central European IP address and that made no difference either.
m
l
April 18, 2011 8:14:30 AM

Indeed Saga lout.

I don't think it's possible to access all threads via .com. Hitting pages seems to redirect to .co.uk and setting the url to .com after doesn't always work (ever? I've not tested this sufficiently). The user is presented with a message stating the thread could not be found.
m
l
April 18, 2011 10:14:02 AM

PM me and I will show you how to avoid that redirection
m
l
April 18, 2011 7:14:07 PM

I edited my Hosts file to prevent it but the Badges problem remains the same. It must only affect posters with UK based IP addresses. It's no geat issue - especially if the upgrade fixes it in due course.
m
l
April 18, 2011 7:44:51 PM

Editing your host file will keep you from being redirected in the future. However, there are separate badge totals on each side. Simply stopping the redirect from side to side, won't merge your badge (and/or best answer) total. Instead, your future best answer, and badges, will accumulate on the US side.
m
l
April 19, 2011 3:27:40 AM

Yep, that's how it is :)  Just stick to the US site and enjoy a slightly less buggy experience :lol: 
m
l
!