Stick with AMD GA-MA790X-DS4 board or not

Miggi03

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Dear all

I am seeking opinions/ advice on whether it is worth sticking with my current rig and just upgrading the CPU to give games like Skyrim that bit extra they need.

I think my current CPU is at the lower end of the spectrum my motherboard supports but I was wondering if anyone had done something similar and got the desired result or had to just replace the main components.

Motherboard GA-MA790X-DS4

CPU Athlon x2 5200

Memory 4gb DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2

Graphics card Radeon 5870 1GB

Power supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
What operating system are using using and why not 8GB? If you are not using 64bit, then you are missing a lot of things when it comes to gaming.

Second that, I would recommend you to update your Bios and upgrade your processor. (what sosofm posted)

P.S. It's only a suggestion. Please don't shoot the messenger! T.T

Miggi03

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the responses.

I am using x64 Win 7 Ultimate.

I cannot work out if my board supports 8gb in AM3 configuration. On the site it says.

"Due to CPU limitation of AM2+/AM3 DDR 1066 Memory Module is only supported by 1 dimm per channel"

I've got a couple 790X/FX motherboards and they work just dandy with PhII processors.

I wouldn't worry too much about your RAMs. DDR2 800 will run in dual-channel but it's not really worth the expense -- your 4GB should be fine.

Something like the PhII 960T is where you should be looking to spend your cash.

TRENDING THREADS