Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5770 Crossfire with 6770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 2, 2011 2:15:05 PM

My current system has a Radeon 5770 card in it. I am looking to upgrade my system and was just going to add a second card in crossfire, but it looks like the 5770 has been replaced by the 6770. From what I have read the 6770 cards are just rebadged 5770 cards, but I want to check.

Will I have any trouble setting up crossfire with one 5770 card and one 6770 card?

More about : 5770 crossfire 6770

a c 218 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:26:33 PM

No can do, my friend. Not possible. Sorry.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:27:29 PM

not possible crossfire possible with two identical same models however their series are different.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:28:30 PM

4745454b said:
Yes you can. The 6770 is just a rebranded 5770.

really, can you show any pictures.
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 2:30:17 PM

CrossFire can be implemented with varying-GPU cards of the same generation (this is in contrast to Nvidia's SLI, which generally only works if all cards have the same GPU). This allows buyers who have varying budgets over time to purchase different cards and still get the benefits of increased performance. With the latest generation cards, they will only crossfire with other cards in their sub series. For example, GPU in the same series can be crossfired with each other. So a 5800 series GPU (e.g. a 5830) can run together with another 5800 series GPU (e.g. 5870). However GPU's not in the same hundred series cannot be crossfired successfully. (e.g. a 5770 cannot run with a 5870)

see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_CrossFireX - for more information
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:30:59 PM

If anyone bothered to read my reply, the 6770 is a 5770. AMD didn't need to release an updated card due to Nvidia not coming out with anything to challenge it. The 6750 is also just a 5750. Rebranding, just like the 9800GT being an 8800GT.
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 2:33:42 PM

4745454b said:
If anyone bothered to read my reply, the 6770 is a 5770. AMD didn't need to release an updated card due to Nvidia not coming out with anything to challenge it. The 6750 is also just a 5750. Rebranding, just like the 9800GT being an 8800GT.


We understand it is a re-branded 5770... but unless you have PROOF that they can crossfire; I'm not going to tell this guy it's possible... then when he buys one and attempts it, it fails.... you can... I won't. Maybe it will work... maybe.
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 2:36:12 PM

COLGeek said:
I stand corrected! Thanks for the enlightenment!!


And there is the proof.... thank you. Now we can tell him it is possible... Enjoy!
m
0
l
December 2, 2011 2:36:15 PM

4745454b said:
If anyone bothered to read my reply, the 6770 is a 5770. AMD didn't need to release an updated card due to Nvidia not coming out with anything to challenge it. The 6750 is also just a 5750. Rebranding, just like the 9800GT being an 8800GT.


I did read your reply, and that is my understanding also, but what I wanted to check. It is interesting on the chart that both you and robjordy linked to, and as you mentioned in your post. That going by that chart if you start with the 6770 card it says you can crossfire it with a 5770, but if you start with the 5770 it does not say that you can crossfire it with the 6770. A goof on AMDs part?
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:37:00 PM

I edited my first post with the proof. Click the link. See that blob of yellow in the upper right? That's AMD saying the 6770 can CF with the 5770 or 5750 as well as the 6770 and 6750.

Edit:

Quote:
but if you start with the 5770 it does not say that you can crossfire it with the 6770. A goof on AMDs part?


Not sure. It might be for this to work you need the 6770 in the card 1 slot. In which case the graph is correct. Or they felt like not duplicating the info...
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:57:48 PM

Lucid Moments said:
I did read your reply, and that is my understanding also, but what I wanted to check. It is interesting on the chart that both you and robjordy linked to, and as you mentioned in your post. That going by that chart if you start with the 6770 card it says you can crossfire it with a 5770, but if you start with the 5770 it does not say that you can crossfire it with the 6770. A goof on AMDs part?



Huh ? Wtf, didn't see that :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 3:34:09 PM

That's why he's the addict :D  , still learning myself . . .
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 3:49:45 PM

It works quite well if you copy the bios from the 6770 and over write the bios to the 5770. This will turn the 5770 into a 6770. We did this on 2 refrence model cards. Both cards with the cooler removed looked the same.

I used these instructions as a guide.
https://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?63594-Flashing...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 4:37:47 PM

Lucid Moments said:
I did read your reply, and that is my understanding also, but what I wanted to check. It is interesting on the chart that both you and robjordy linked to, and as you mentioned in your post. That going by that chart if you start with the 6770 card it says you can crossfire it with a 5770, but if you start with the 5770 it does not say that you can crossfire it with the 6770. A goof on AMDs part?


No, not a goof. The 6770 has to be card 1 because it is aware of the 5770. The 5770 can't be card 1 because it is not aware of the 6770.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 4:53:53 PM

Wow, cards that are aware, heavy stuff.

No, serious, why is that anyway ?
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 5:07:14 PM

Think of it as backward compatibility vice forward compatibility. Make sense now? One is easy to do, the other nearly impossible.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 5:17:41 PM

Ah, yeah, chrystal. Thank you.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 5:47:14 PM

bucknutty said:
It works quite well if you copy the bios from the 6770 and over write the bios to the 5770. This will turn the 5770 into a 6770. We did this on 2 refrence model cards. Both cards with the cooler removed looked the same.

I used these instructions as a guide.
https://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?63594-Flashing...


That would make things rather more complicated for no conceivable gain. I'm not against BIOS flashing since I've done it many times to my 5850s, but I just don't see the point in this case.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 6:32:44 PM

It was the only way we could get cross fire to work. It also unlocked the HDMI 4.1 or whatever the 6770 offers.

I guess the only advantage would be the driver would see the two cards as completely the same. In this case both cards were the same manufacturer, and both were refrence boards.

In practice, flashing another bios on your card is not really a good idea, but it was fun.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 8:10:42 PM

Hmm, interesting. Well, if it works it works!
m
0
l
December 31, 2011 9:35:17 AM

so i can bridge a 6770 flex edition and a reg 6770 then
m
0
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 1:01:56 AM

captjiggs said:
so i can bridge a 6770 flex edition and a reg 6770 then

Yes. Not an issue.
m
0
l
!