Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need to confirm, or discard some assumptions re: graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2011 2:20:03 PM

Hello,

I've been spending some time looking through forums here and elsewhere but before I get to system choices, I need to ensure that some underlying assumptions are sound or not. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Adding a graphics card "automatically" disables any integrated graphics ports on the MOBO: T or F, or depends (driver, MOBO, et al.)?
2. MOBO graphic ports to drive more than 1 monitor are not typical, to drive more than two, non-existent?
3. None of the following uses would really require a discrete, add-on graphics card:
photo-editing, photo file management (e.g. possibly lots of thumbnails), slide scanning (batch using autofeed, 1000s to do ...).
4. A DVI port be adapted/used to drive an TV HDMI connection: T, F, depends on the card?
5. A PCIe 2.0 x16 card could be fittted into a PCI 1.0 MOBO (with later transfer to a newer system planned)?
a c 206 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:31:31 PM

Here you go:
1. True (in most cases)
2. A single port generally supports a single monitor/display. There are splitters available, but most modern video cards can support 2 monitors (at a minimum)
3. Photo editing can be rather demanding depending on the editing application being used and could perform better with an appropriate video card (PhotoShop, for example can off-load some processing onto a compatible CUDA (Nvidia) GPU).
4. A DVI port can be connected to an HDMI port with the proper adapter
5. Yes, you can install a PCIe 2.0 GPU into a PCIe 1.0 slot. Just make sure your power supply meets the power requirements of your new GPU.

Good luck!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:35:13 PM

1. Adding a graphics card "automatically" disables any integrated graphics ports on the MOBO: T or F, or depends (driver, MOBO, et al.)?

In most casses this is true. Very few mobos can use both the onboard and the video card at the same time. Question is what value does the onbaord video provide if you have a high end video card?

2. MOBO graphic ports to drive more than 1 monitor are not typical, to drive more than two, non-existent?

Correct its pretty rare to see a MOBO with a dual ramdac. Some of the boards with onboard AMD can run 2 screens. I have an HP that can do it.

3. None of the following uses would really require a discrete, add-on graphics card:
photo-editing, photo file management (e.g. possibly lots of thumbnails), slide scanning (batch using autofeed, 1000s to do ...).

Correct a high end graphics card would provide very little advantage over onboard for 2D pics and applications.

4. A DVI port be adapted/used to drive an TV HDMI connection: T, F, depends on the card?

I have never seen a DVI-HDMI passive adapter that works well. Often times you have resolution limitations.

5. A PCIe 2.0 x16 card could be fittted into a PCI 1.0 MOBO (with later transfer to a newer system planned)?

Yes. I have never seen a pcie 2.0 video card be incompatible with a pcie 1.0 mobo, however I guess it is possibe.
Related resources
December 2, 2011 4:41:51 PM

bucknutty said:

I have never seen a DVI-HDMI passive adapter that works well. Often times you have resolution limitations.

Thanks for the response. You mentioned passive DVI/HDMI adapters; are there "active" adapters, or are they expensive/not worth it as it would just be better to get a native HDMI port?

background: My current old workhorse lost its dual monitor support this summer due to one of the Win 7 (sp1) upgrade/patches -- Radaon 9550 (?) card supports DX10 only -- reinstalls of the ATI All-in-one have proved fruitless and the 'Net concensus seems to be that no driver update is forthcoming from ATI/AMD. I want to replace that capability -- even up it to 3 or 4 monitors would be super. And will fairly soon be looking into a whole system replacement but am trying to ascertain if I can decouple the issues (i.e. get bcak multi-monitor cap. now, system upgrade later.

So it appears that for more than 2 monitors, I'll need a graphics card in any case, so I may just get one now and pop it into the old rig and move the system replacement issue to the back burner until after Xmas.

And I do want all the quiet I can get. I saw the Galaxy GeForce MDT x4, fanless and with 4 DVI ports and thought this might be getting pretty close to the mark: enough connections, with the added g-processing chops to boot.

Comments?
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 5:23:35 PM

The passive ones I have used look like the DVI to VGA addapters. This is just my experience but they never seem to work right. In one example I could not get 1080p with the adapter. DVI also does not offically support Audio. As for an active adapter I really dont have any experience if they even exist.

Has any one had good luck with a DVI to HDMI adapter?

If your current computer has a PCIe slot getting a new video card now might be a way to go. That way you can get your dual monitor working, you can enjoy the extra gpu power and when you get a new computer you can transplant it.

If the computer only has an AGP you might be best served just waiting.
December 4, 2011 11:10:16 AM

Best answer selected by Rudi Tewsbai.
!