rpmpv1

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hi guys,
I recently bought a server with an Intel X3210 2.13 ghz Quad Core processor in it, to use as a HTPC/Server. The server case was so scratched up that I decided not to use it in my living room, but, I did manage to pull the X3210 out and drop it into my old XPS 410. Both my Dual Core E6600 and the X3210 are socket 775, so I figured, hey, why not give it a shot. The first boot was very slow, BUT, after a restart, I'm booting up and running much faster than before! Windows experience index also went from a processor rating of 5.9 to a 7. So far, the system seems stable. I haven't run any processor intensive applications, but general web surfing and such seems to be just fine. My question is this: the X3210 has a TDP of 105W and I'm using the stock heat sink that came with my E6600. Should I be concerned about my motherboard frying or CPU overheating, and/or not having enough juice to power the chip long term?

It probably won't cause a problem, but you should monitor your CPU's temps to be on the safe side. You might want a slightly better PSU, but it probably won't make much difference anyway. It would decrease the chance of a problem occurring (such as the PSU dying), but by how much, I don't know.

rpmpv1

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply blazorthon! I actually replaced my PSU back in 2005 with a Cooler Master 430W model. I originally did this to make sure my GeForce 9800gt graphics card had enough power. Do you think I should still upgrade the PSU just to be safe?

rpmpv1

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Yeah I couldn't find any threads on using the X3210 in an XPS 410, so.. I created one! :) Any suggestions delluser1 as to what kind of PSU I should upgrade to?

Kind of depends on the card you're using, still the 9800 ?
An Antec EA or Corsair CX430 would be upgrades ( a CM430 is lower quality than the stock Dell 375w )
If you're upgrading the card a 500 watt model from either

rpmpv1

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I haven't quite decided yet whether to keep or replace the 9800.. It's still a decent card and albeit noisy and lacking HDMI, it does what I need it to do. I'll probably just upgrade to a 500w PSU regardless, in case I decide to upgrade in the near future. Thanks for the suggestions!