ASUS XONAR DSX

Hello,
Got this card today and it sounds awful, It does not sounds clean and smooth at all like my last Audigy 2 It sounds distorted, bass is muddled and treble sounds rough.
There is also a lot of noise in the background and the speakers don't come back on when headphones are removed as I thought they should. I'm Very dissapointed after all the hype about these cards.
Everything on default settings and tried with Sennheiser HD-595 and Cambridge Soundworks THX.
Has Anyone got any ideas why? or are my ears just too critical? as I'm about to send it back and go back to a Creative.
5 answers Last reply
More about asus xonar
  1. Odd, might need to toy around with the EQ a bit. I'd toy with the LFE Crossover frequency slider a bit at the very least. Make sure Dolby Headphone is disabled, etc.

And I do note the DS(X) is one of the lower tier Xonars, but I'd be shocked if anything sounded outright BAD using it...
  2. gamerk316 said:
    Odd, might need to toy around with the EQ a bit. I'd toy with the LFE Crossover frequency slider a bit at the very least. Make sure Dolby Headphone is disabled, etc.

And I do note the DS(X) is one of the lower tier Xonars, but I'd be shocked if anything sounded outright BAD using it...

Update:
    Thanks for the info. The games sounded OK'ish, it was the music sound quality I was most concerned about.
    I may have jumped the gun a bit as I found the graphic equalizer to be turned on in windows media player and it was all over the place. I've turned it off now and it has made a big difference.

I did have a play with all the settings and found the sample rate settings made quite a difference. PCM 96Khz being a little fuller with higher treble and the PCM 192Khz setting was more open and cleaner. The other two settings were worse. I also Had to lift the volume levels to 86 on both channels in the mixer tab and reduce the master volume knob to the 2 O'clock setting to get better output levels without the sound limiter kicking in and ruining the sound.

Also I've found that as I've used it for a couple of days the general sound quality is improving. I think this is due to the "burn in effect" so hopefully the more I use it the better it will get. I Also plan on changing the Op-Amp IC to the LM4562, (Other suggestions welcome)

The difference between the DS and the DSX is that the DSX is a newer version and has the PCI Express x1 slot type.
    This card does not have the Dolby headphone like the cheaper DG.
  3. Yeah, any type of sound leving kills quality.
  4. Xonar DSX is the cheapest sound card that allows Op-Amp swap. Try to get some audiophile-grade Op-Amps (such as Xonar Essence One's NE 5532 or even Muse). The sound quality will be amazingly upgraded just like many audiophile sound cards!!
  5. My DSX already came with an NE 5532 op-amp as standard. I have changed that for the highly coveted LM4562NA op-amp which has helped smooth out the sound a little, but I still don't think it sounds as good as my previous SB Audigy2. Maybe it needs a few weeks to burn in properly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Asus Components