Sign in with
Your question

Gaming; coding & photo editing / 800$ for core components

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 2:50:06 PM

Budget: 500~850 USD
Date of order: February/April, 2012
Most demanding uses: Gaming; Photo editing; Folding@Home.
Gaming: No multi-player. - Crysis2; Mass Effect2; etc...
Most frequent uses: Watching Blu-ray's; Photo editing (Photoshop); Vector editing (Inkscape); WPF design in Blend and coding in MS Visual Studio.
Operating systems: Windows 8 (Big chance yet not confirmed); Ubuntu 12 .04/.10 ...
Monitor: 21" LCD @ 1920* / Chance for a Wacom tablet / 1680* for gaming
Internet Connection: 2 MiB/s ADSL; 512 Kib/s USB DSN.
Purchasing country: USA (California); Germany (Berlin); Egypt (Cairo).
Assembly: Manual; LCD and other peripherals already available for reuse.
Parts preferences: I'd like it to be as future proof as possible; see next...

Additional Information:

- I live in Egypt but I have several friends in countries already mentioned. Given the current state in my homeland, purchasing from here may not be wise, or cheap. Since parts will come as luggage from abroad, they need to be reasonably light-weight.
- I've only got 850$ at most to spend. I already have a case, a monitor, a keyboard, etc... The Operating system (Windows not Ubuntu) is not included in the budget.
- I'm getting a bit more serious in Photo editing and Coding since, apparently, I don't have many work choices here and working in tech would allow me wider work options. As such, the PC need to live for about 4~6 years and retain good performance when working with Photshop and Visual Studio. I'll get the components checked before they're shipped and will take all precautions I could make while using the PC here, therefore, initial and long-term quality is more important than warranty.
- I understand that there's no such thing as future proof (especially in politics, AKA revolutions). But although every now and then a tech-revolution would come from no corner, there're better systems that could handle it. While I prefer Intel, their policies since Naheleam have been shocking and unacceptable. I do like (and have more experience) with AMD (ATi) so stick with that for GPU's and advise on the CPU.
- I'll be running x64 Win8 and x86 Ubuntu.

Thanks you all for your efforts and good day/night!

MN
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 2, 2012 4:43:28 PM

The one bad thing about buying a system here is that the power requirements might not match up with what works where you live. You can certainly use components like cases, motherboards, video cards, etc. But for movie-watching (BD-R, etc) and things of that nature - you'll want to get the drive where you live due to region encoding. And you'll want to get the PSU where you live.

Maybe try something like this - if you link to a store you use I can provide the actual items and costs:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ($59.99)
PSU: Corsair CX600 ($69.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H ($159.99)
CPU: 3.10GHz Intel Core i5-2400 ($189.99)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X PC12800 1600MHz 1.5V ($44.99)
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB ($89.99)
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner ($17.99)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 ($179.99)

Total: $812.92
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 6:34:12 PM

I haven't yet found any BD video retailers here so even movies will come from abroad. I know this's strange, even suspicious but I know my friends from work, and work makes them travel quarterly.
Why should the PSU be local? I'm currently using an Inspiron 9400 also purchased that way and I haven't had a problem with electricity using it; ought I to buy the PSU local?
Should I wait for HD7850 and IvyBridge?
m
l
a c 287 4 Gaming
February 4, 2012 2:57:34 AM

psycho sykes said:
I haven't yet found any BD video retailers here so even movies will come from abroad. I know this's strange, even suspicious but I know my friends from work, and work makes them travel quarterly.
Why should the PSU be local? I'm currently using an Inspiron 9400 also purchased that way and I haven't had a problem with electricity using it; ought I to buy the PSU local?
Should I wait for HD7850 and IvyBridge?

You can wait if you want for the 7850 (shouldn't be too long before release if the 7950 and 7970 are any indication). Ivy is still a few months out - it will probably be July before it's released.

As far as the PSU being local - if you have a power converter and can run a PC from it, more power to you.
m
l
!