Was my motherboard affected by lightning?????

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Is my motherboard destroyed?
This motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. When I turn on the system it gets to the "Press Delete to enter setup" and stops, will go no further. The system will not boot from a system disk. I tried clearing the RTC ram, nothing.
Yesterday an electrical storm struck down a tree outside my front door. Is it possible my motherboard was also destroyed? My system was turned off at the time. Nothing else on my system was affected, I think.I transferred my hard drive to another motherboard and it works. The drive was heavily fragmented, even though it had been defragged a few days ago.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
At the moment I am using one of the hard drives on another motherboard. There were 2 HDs on the ASUS board. Everything is disconnected as you suggested and I plan to set the system up again and see if anything works. This system is connected to an insured APC surge arrest. I contacted them and started a claim. If I can get the motherboard to work that would be fine.
I appreciate any suggestions and will try them. Thank you very much.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I reconnected everything and reset the RTC RAM by removing the battery and moving the jumper. My motherboard is back in business.

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
glad its sorted.

lightning can and does cause massive EM interference, a blot outside my house a few years ago at night, blow out the entire nieghbourhood!

no street lights for a 1/2 mile in each direction.

it happens, and is not really taken into any account when designing things like motherboards.

if you wanted to be extra safe, you could buy a surge protected extension socket.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
wow, that's good to hear. the same thing happened to me like 1 1/2 years ago when i was pushing my xp-m to 2.7 Ghz. Well, needless to say, the lightning struck and to all my attempts my NF7-S v2 never came on again :cry:

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I agree, lightning can definitely cause problems. That is why I purchased my APC SurgeStation. It has lifetime protection. It covers damage up to $10,000. There was one other time when I thought damage was done. This time I did have to reinstall Windows XP and reactive it.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
There is a simple formula to calculate the result:
(PC) + (nearby lightning strike) - (good surge protector) = trouble

had good surge protector and still killed my board. my 360 was off, and the surge actually caused it to come on. was more worried about losing that and my tv.

TRENDING THREADS