Sign in with
Your question

1st build help

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 3:05:30 PM

this is my first pc build i will be using it to play ToR and GW2 most of the time and other mmos and the new ones that will come out need help with this build since i dont know if its good the pc i have now is from ibuypower but im making this one pls tell me how good they both r

ibuypower build

i5 2500k cpu
asus h67 mobo
amd radeon hd 6950
19" widescreen monitor
CM storm trooper series case
1000 watt atx psu
corsair h100 cpu liquid cooling
8g kingston ram
sata 2tb hard drive
sony 24x multi op drive
asus xonar s-card
killer 2100 gaming network card

my first build

i7 3930k cpu
intel DX79SI mobo
CM storm trooper case
corsair h100 cpu liquid cooling
16g kinston ram
sata 2tb hard drive
1000 watt atx power supply
3 trifired 7970's
three 23" 3d monitors
asus xonar s-card
killer 2100 gaming network card
sony 24x multi op drive
logitech g19 keyboard
cyborg R.A.T. mouse
logitech 5.1 speakers
creative labs fatal1ty headphones

More about : 1st build

February 1, 2012 3:09:22 PM

The parts from iBuypower are... Weird. I mean, i5 2500K combined with H67 mobo and 1000w PSU to power a 6950... Weird man, but still, it's a great PC. Don't waste money on that super-expensive PC because it will be a HUGE overkill for what you do, game. And btw, are you a troll?
m
l
February 1, 2012 3:27:41 PM

the ibuypower pc is mostly my brothers i just gave him a little money 4 it but what about the second build that 1 will be mine
m
l
Related resources
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2012 3:39:33 PM

4eyed said:
The parts from iBuypower are... Weird. I mean, i5 2500K combined with H67 mobo and 1000w PSU to power a 6950... Weird man, but still, it's a great PC. Don't waste money on that super-expensive PC because it will be a HUGE overkill for what you do, game.

I agree - it makes no sense to have an H67 and a 1K+ watt PSU on a gaming system when the H67 won't support 3 x Crossfire to begin with. That's why I hesitate to recommend places like Cyberpower to begin with.

The second build looks a *LOT* better but ditch the sound card, the NIC, and all the expensive peripherals and concentrate on getting the best hardware you can for the money. You don't need a lot of that (or really any) stuff for a build. IMO the keyboard and mouse are the least important part of the build - get those last.

Also for the X79 - most of the time you will need an XL-ATX case and the one you listed won't meet that criteria. Something like this would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... *OR* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You should focus your build on getting the best of these you can for the money:

Case
PSU
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Cooler
Storage (SSD/HD)
Optical
Video Card
Monitor
OS

Your motherboard has built-in sound and NIC so the extra cards aren't necessary.

These should come last:

Speakers
Keyboard/mouse
Headset

These you don't need:

Extra sound card
Extra NIC

And I also wouldn't mess with an H100 - I know finding mounts for LGA 2011 and air fans are difficult right now but most manufacturers will provide them at little or no cost.
m
l
February 1, 2012 4:29:54 PM

ok i took out the s-card and nic and will get the keyboard mouse speakers last so this is what i got

atx cm storm trooper case
dx79si mobo
i7 3930k cpu 1000 watt atx psu
corair h100 liquid cooling
3 amd radeon hd 7970's
16g kingston ram
sata 2tb hard drive
sony 24x multi op drive

any other tips
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2012 4:36:59 PM

maxgamer875 said:
ok i took out the s-card and nic and will get the keyboard mouse speakers last so this is what i got

atx cm storm trooper case
dx79si mobo
i7 3930k cpu 1000 watt atx psu
corair h100 liquid cooling
3 amd radeon hd 7970's
16g kingston ram
sata 2tb hard drive
sony 24x multi op drive

any other tips

A couple of things - I still would not recommend getting an H100 - you're far better off going with a good strong air cooler.

Read this about air cooling vs. liquid cooling: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

The Intel board is pretty decent (but they do have insane longevity - my D975XBX is still running strong after 6+ years), make sure that your RAM is dedicated quad channel and not dual channel, something like this would be better (this is certified for X79) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I'm not sure that the 7970 will run in a 3x configuration - you might want to do some research there.

And get an SSD for your boot drive and store everything else on your secondary. That case allows for hot-swapping SSDs and you should take advantage of it if you get it.
m
l
!