Upgrading new gpu/maybe case/psu

Darkjello7769

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Current Build

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge (OC'd at 4.4Ghz)
MOBO - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance
Case - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
GPU - EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi)
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I just got taxes back! Looking to upgrade my video card.

I am looking to get the new 7970 (dunno what brand yet) because I will be running 3 monitors for BF3 and other games. I really just want to spend my cash on video card and monitors but if you think I need to upgrade other components before this. Then I will. I do want to OC the GPU as well.

My concern is my case of course. I want it to be able to hold one of these cards and I will probably take a dremmel to my hd bay if need be.

Do I need to upgrade my PSU?
Do I need to upgrade my Case?
Hows my mobo?

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Im just learning this computer stuff and I think im getting the hang of it :)

striker410

Distinguished
Hi there! Welcome to the forums.
Hmm, decent system you have there! You're right, the GPU is definitely bottlenecking you.

Hmm, I dunno about a 7970. They are cool, that's for sure. From a straight bang-for-buck perspective I would suggest a pair of 6950's (2GB), as they will cost less and perform better. You also shouldn't have a problem making the cards fit, either.
6950 CFX: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/299
7970: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508

Eh well you can't do any upgrading with the Mobo unless u plan on getting new CPU and Mobo. as for everything else. I would recommend a bigger case for better airflow. I use Cooler Master cases but have taken a shine to Corsair cases to. Either the Haf X or the Corsair 500r will do good at airflow and length.As for the brand from the 7970. either Sapphire or XFX. the ASUS one has been selling pretty good to. make sure you have enough adapters to support 3 monitors. as the Card has one DVI, 1 HDMI and the rest are some wierd ports that i dont know much about

Darkjello7769

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Wow, thanks for the quick replys. I like the idea of getting 2 6950's But I was also going to probably get 2 7970's in the near future. I don't think my mobo supports sli/crossfire. On a side note, would my psu be able to support 2 6950's/case would fit this also? Would it be able to play bf3 in ultra settings with 3 monitors (23" LCD)

Edit: @Rockdpm
I think I know what your talkin about the mobo, but the cpu should be fine right? I think the 2500k is solid.

striker410

Distinguished
I don't think you could get two 7970's on that mobo, due to bandwidth issues. 4x is fine for a 6950. For a 7970? Not so much.

I'm not sure as I have neither 6950's nor Eyefinity. I'm sure you could dig up some benchmarks somewhere.

Darkjello7769

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

In that case. Do you have any recommendation on a mobo that would be able to do 2 7970's and hold my current specs for other parts?

Also the other question thats still killing me is if the PSU is going to be able to do what I need it too.

I will probably just break down and update my case to Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel AFTER buying my 2ND 7970.

Darkjello7769

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Doing some research I think im going to get the

Mobo- MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
Case- Corsair Carbide Series 500R

before upgrading the gpu. Id rather just have those ez upgrades before getting the big one.