Sign in with
Your question

Refresh rate on my monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 13, 2003 11:44:18 AM

I have an LG Flatron 795FT+ 17" flat tube monitor and the refresh rate in win XP is set to 72Hz. I heard that if the refresh rate is too low if will affect the performance of gaming. What number should this be set at? I searched the net for the best refresh rate for this monitor but couldnt come up with anything.
Let me know, thanks!

More about : refresh rate monitor

April 13, 2003 2:25:41 PM

Change your monitor type to "Plug and Play Monitor" in the display properties dialogue. The resulting refresh rate list will be taken from the monitor itself and you can use any rate from that list.

About the only caution I would issue is that at maximum refresh rates, some monitors run very hot which, depending on design, could shorten their liftime somewhat.

I generally set refresh rates at 70, 72 or 75. You will suffer a small (and I do mean small) performance hit in some games at that rate so I wouldn't recommend trying higher rates unless you run into problems.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 14, 2003 1:00:26 AM

Well actually right now I can choose which refresh rate to set it at. I have it set to 75Hz.

So what you're saying is that the higher I set the refresh rate the better the performance in games? (by a small margin)
Related resources
April 14, 2003 3:30:17 AM

Yes, in some games and by a small margin... 75 is fine for most things.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 19, 2003 11:06:50 AM

Do a search for a program called "refresh force" on google. It'll keep all your refresh rates at different resolutions at the max.
April 24, 2003 12:35:16 AM

Lo m8s,
Teq, with no offense, 85-100Hz refresh is much better for "most" things. I have read through a few topics and read several of your replies, it seems that you are stuck the number "75". You say that from 65-68 Hz and up you cant see any change, I strongly disagree with you, the eyes are more relaxed @ higher refresh rates.
The monitor might get more hot @ higher rates, but hey, that's what it's made for!
From 85Hz upwards you got a flikker-free image.
Ask someone to increase the rate to 85Hz, work on their pc's a couple of hours and then tell them to put it back to 75 or lower! What do you really think they prefer? You are the only one I've read posts of that is time after time insisting on lower refresh rates than what is considered to be the norm!!!
What monitor do you have and @ what resolution do you run it and @ what refresh rate? Now, cuz your eyes are used to it, doesn't mean that its the best for the majority.
Well, of course 85Hz is better than 60Hz ! More the frequency is high, and more your picture on the screen will look like a paper-sheet ... and better it will be for your eyes
But be carefull not to push the refresh rate too high, else your monitor will perish more quickly ... Look in your monitor documentation to be sure. Newer monitors ('98 and up) of resonable quality should have no problem @ 85Hz on a resolution 1024*768.
cheers
April 24, 2003 2:52:10 AM

Just be sure to select the box that says show only refresh rates that are supported. Another thing is that in games, ur refresh rate will often go back to 60Hz b/c the drivers and windows, so I suggest u get something called <A HREF="http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm" target="_new">Powerstrip</A> to lock ur refresh so that it remains the same in games. This worse performance is due to vsync if u have that enabled (which you should lest the image look choppy). I suggest 85Hz+ refresh rate. I mean one can buy a new monitor any time, but extra fatigue on your eyes everyday is pointless.

Hilbert space is a big place.
April 24, 2003 7:11:14 AM

yeah, flamethrower is right.
Though if you have an nvidia gpu (ie gf4) with detonator drivers, I think it gives you the option to overide refresh rates manually. OpenGL games have fixed refresh @ appr. 60Hz I think.
April 24, 2003 9:42:32 PM

Yeah, it gives u that option, but it's never worked for me hehe.

April 25, 2003 7:15:00 AM

is it openGL games it doesn't work with or direct3d?
If its in OpenGL games, then it is normal as it can only overide direct3d applications (the detonator refresh utility I mean), for openGL games you need a 3rd party tweak utility.
April 25, 2003 10:49:19 PM

Good point. I mainly use OGL anyway, so it doesn't help sadly. At least p-strip doesn't use any noticeable resources.

May 2, 2003 1:57:20 AM

as high as possible, you can try one by one,from85 to 120./

<font color=blue> ur computer suck off my computer</font color=blue>
:tongue:
!