how strong do the wireless need to be?

MjM2

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Im getting a new comp and everything, and im going to move my comp upstais. My modem and router are both down stairs though.I was wondernig what kind of adapter do i need, and do i need to get a ner router? because at the shop, the man kept saying i needed a more expensive adaptor and router becuase the signal needed to be strong to get through the walls. I have a netgear WGR614 whic use the 802.11g signal. would the adaptor, also from netgear, the WG311 be enough?

Curiosity was framed. Stupidity killed the cat.
(i know it has nothing to do with comps, but i think its funny ^^")

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
those idiots at those stores always try and sell you extra [-peep-].

guy you just talking about your wireless NIC for the upstairs PC? Just buy one and check it out. You don't need a new freggin router these people are insane that work at these stores. You already have a router/wireless solution, now you just need your WIReless NIC correct?

then just buy the wg311 and see how that goes, it should work fine.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
You'll know if it is enough when you get it home and try it. Bottom line. Nobody knows what your wireless environment is. You can however get advice on what has worked well for others. Unless you have rebar in your walls or something like a refrigerator directly in the path you'll "probably" be fine.