Your question

Can't select Question/Discussion/Poll

Tags:
  • Site Bug Reports
  • Firefox
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
April 8, 2011 7:57:44 PM

Using Firefox 4, I am unable to select Question/Discussion/Poll when starting new threads. This didn't happen in Firefox 3.6 and doesn't happen in Chrome 12. The default selection is random between Question and Discussion. Usually, it defaults to Question (and I am stuck on that), but as I write this, it is stuck on Discussion. Some more info:

• When I hover over the tabs, my browser informs me of the link "javascript:void(0);"; it's just that clicking on the tabs doesn't seem to carry out the command properly!
  • Yes, I've tried disabling addons and custom settings. In fact, I'm typing this right now using Firefox's "safe mode".

Anyone else seeing this issue?
  • More about : select question discussion poll

April 8, 2011 10:43:58 PM

Did a test and I am getting the same results, i.e. the javascript void message, with both add-ons disabled and enabled. It could be an issue with java/engine compatibility with the forums.

I know that our forum software is "unique," but I wonder if any other forums out there are seeing similar things?
    April 9, 2011 12:16:18 AM

buwish said:
    Did a test and I am getting the same results, i.e. the javascript void message, with both add-ons disabled and enabled. It could be an issue with java/engine compatibility with the forums.

I know that our forum software is "unique," but I wonder if any other forums out there are seeing similar things?

Thanks for testing it out. In a way, I'm glad it's not a problem with just my config. (I seem to be the geek with the weird problems, probably because I tinker with my systems so much.) On the other hand, this means there's a deeper flaw in either the forum software (that Chrome's JS engine glosses over) or Firefox. I don't know if it happens on other, similar forums since Tom's is the only one I frequent. :) 
    Related resources
    April 9, 2011 1:47:52 AM

I can confirm the same behaviour.
    April 9, 2011 5:22:29 PM

It's not just the THG website. Firefox4 is also having issues with NewEgg and other sites
    April 9, 2011 10:14:29 PM

WR2 said:
    It's not just the THG website. Firefox4 is also having issues with NewEgg and other sites

I'm a Newegg user; what, specifically, is wrong on that site? I didn't notice anything unusual when placing an order yesterday.
    On another note, this is looking more like a Firefox 4 problem (or just widespread JS coding errors?). Anyone have a Bugzilla account to let the Mozilla devs know about this?
    April 11, 2011 1:54:49 PM

I can confirm this is an issue. Whether or not it is an issue with FF4 or our forums remains to be seen. Will bug this up and submit for a fix. Thanks for the catch!
    April 17, 2011 7:55:23 AM

Yep, just bit me as well.
    May 5, 2011 3:25:21 PM

Same thing happening here. Using FF4.
    May 10, 2011 1:43:35 PM

This has been fixed and will be operating normally in the next update (sometime this week).
    May 10, 2011 2:48:18 PM

jpishgar said:
    This has been fixed and will be operating normally in the next update (sometime this week).

Great! Thanks so much for investigating and fixing this issue.
    !