What Hard Drive is the best?

G

If I want a silent hard drive that with avarege speed at about 10-20gb witch is the best model/brand to buy?
Any help is welcomed

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by michev on 03/16/01 04:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would get a Maxtor hard drive, but everyone else that post's in this message board will probably tell you to get an IBM. If you check out the previous post's you will see that it is about the only drive they do recamend on top of every other manufacture.

Maxtor drives are really quiet, especially with the Acoustic Management turned ON. I have mine OFF and it really doesn't make to much more noise.

That is just my opinion, so please don't take any offence to what I have said.

Lars Coleman

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Since you're not looking for SPEED, I agree with Lars - Maxtor. Try one of the 5400RPM drives.
Performance overall? IBM =P

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

you want ultimate quiet where performance is less of a concern.. The Seagate U5 series. Or maybe a Fujitsu MPG_AT series.

Otherwise stick with the IBM. There's not really a 7200 that's any quieter.. cheaper, but not quieter unless you run the Maxtor in downgraded mode, which you might as well go with the above suggestion if you are going to do that.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ehhh.... I don't mean to step on toes here, but everyone I know (including me) has had hit-and-miss experiences with Maxtor drives. Sometimes they last for years, sometimes they get bad sectors within a month, sometimes they die out-of-box. They just don't seem to be all that reliable (although they are quiet).

And like a lot of other people you would point out, I'd recommend IBM for IDE hard drives. IDE drives seem to be IBM's forte. Western Digital and Fujitsu are also nice, quiet drives; I believe they both use IBM parts (another IBM plug, sorry).

Seagate doesn't impress me much for SCSI lately; they had severe compatibility problems with the initial release of their U160 drives. I've also always considered their SCSI drives to be on the noisy side. Their IDE drives may still be good though...

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

Actually, i think fujitus dies a lot. I have seen a brand new fujitsu hd spin down in sleep mode then won't spin up again. My choice would either go for a maxtor or IBM. If you are saying that the acoutic management really slows down the maxtor drive, maxtor's acoutic management also have a fast mode. Most people refer of the management to the quiet mode of the AM(acoutic management), but there is also a fast mode. Which optimize for maximum seek time with minimum noise. It is very close to speed without the management.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with you. Your right about maxtor drives failing too often. However, I have had a number of IBM and western digital drives fail too often also. I currently use maxtor because they are cheaper albeit slower than ibm and now feel that no matter the brand you will get failures when dealing with just six drives. When I upgrade I usually buy about six drives and sell the old ones and invariably one or two of those drives fails within 2 months weather they are maxtor, western digital or ibm. That is my experience with these brands.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hobbit on 03/18/01 00:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

All hard drive brands fail. It's the nature of the beast. Buying BRand X and having Brand X fail doesn't necessarilly mean all BRAnd X is bad. When you start buying many many drives of Brand X and Brand Y and more of Brand X seem to go bad, then you have something to go on.

I have had more problems in the past with WD/Maxtor going bad, but they were quite a bit cheaper, and I was selling more of them. So after thinking about it and the past even as much of a fan of the IBM as I am, today with the increase in those sales I get bad IBMs returned. So I agree with Hobbit on this one that you can experience failures with any brand. Buying one brand over another doesn't necessarily insulate from this.

G

I think I will go with Matrox, because I'am getting seasick by the noise my Quatum makes. :)

G

yeah I hear the new Matrox G500 is supposed to be a great hard drive.