What exactly is a push/pull air system?

kfactor1119

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hi,

I am building another PC and naturally I want to make it better than my last build. Ideally, I want better air flow so that I can do some overclocking to my processor (i5-2500k). I plan to purchase the cooler master hyper 212 evo fan for this cooling solution. I've done some reading, and I am trying to understand the idea of a push pull air system better. Is it through case fans? The processor's fan? If anyone can offer details I would really appreciate it. It will be in the cooler master storm scout case also, and if anyone knows what I ought to do to optimize this case for push/pull cooling that would also be really awesome.

Thanks

Solution
e3a617fd_DSCF2312.jpeg

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Push/pull is a simple configuration. You just add another fan to the hyper 212 in a way that it forms an air current. like this:
cold air comes in----->(hyper 212 here)---->hot air comes out
Ok I suck at drawing. Did you get it tho?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Basically a push pull configuration is a heatsink with 2 fans.

One fan is facing the front of the case pushing air INTO the heatsink. On the opposite side, there is a fan facing the back of the case PULLING air from the heatsink out to the back of the case.

Basically -- Front Fan -->> (cool air) [[[[heatsink fins]]]]] Back Fan ---> (hot air) [[[[case fan]]]]] --->> (hot air) --> outside of case