Sign in with
Your question

Core i3 vs Phenom II X4 - Does Efficiency matters?

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2012 8:31:14 PM

Hi
As far as I know When you OC a Phenom II x4 it matches a core i3 and it still a Quad, wich is better than a Dual. Some people state that the OC phenom consumes more power than the stock i3, which is right. I Just did the math and this is what I found. Please correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.fpl.com/customer/how_to_read_your_bill.shtml This is what a kWh costs in Miami Fl (More expensive than in many other places in the US)

So lets say that the Phenom consumes 100 watts\hour more than the i3. And lets say that I play 6 hours a day (I wish but I can't unless I divorced from my wife.)

100 (extra watts\hour) * 6 (hours I use the PC) * 30 (days in a month) = 18000 watts\hour = 18 kWh

So if 1 kWh is about $0.11 , you will spend $2.00 extra a month if you run a Phenom II x4.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 8:37:55 PM

The price impact to the electric bill is meaningful, but not large. The calculations you made are about right.

However, you sound like you are neglecting an important efficiency elsewhere. The i3-2120 outperforms the Phenom 2 x4s in most games. The per core productivity of the Intel chips is better than that of the AMD chips. Each Intel core is worth about 2 AMD cores in terms of productivity.

The i5-2500k (Intel 4 core) also beats the FX-8150 (AMD 8 Core) in most things for the same reason.

Unless you know the thing you will be doing will use the extra cores heavily and will crush 2 core processors (BF3 multiplayer is an example) then the i3 is probably the better bet. It should process better and use less power at the same time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 8:51:31 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

There's a small lead gaming with the i3 at stock the phenom eats the i3 in other tasks being a quad. Obviously the gaming as you said evens up when the PII is OC'd.

I think your maths is around right maybe slightly overestimated. I don't think $2 is going to bug to many people building a PC (wish electric was that cheap over here in the UK)
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 9:10:40 PM

I know that sandy bridge kicks AMD ass. And I know that the offer a performance per watt never seen before. and I'd love to build my new gaming rig with the 2500k inside but i can't afford it. So i have to decide between the i3 2120 and the BE 965. My point is that if when is when overclocked, the phenom will be on pair with the i3, I will choose it because it is quad. I made this post because I read that you will spend like $20 a month if you choose a phenom II over an i3 and that is wrong. I am not biased, I just want to get the best bang for my money.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 9:55:20 PM

You told us last month you had already ordered your parts.
What's going on?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 10:02:26 PM

Quote:
not again..

This.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 10:07:23 PM

So... Phenom II quad overclocked is on par with a dual core in quad core-heavy games while using more power so you want the Phenom II off that knowledge?

Wouldn't it make sense to have 2 stronger cores, considering the Phenom II is only matching in quad core heavy games? Most games use 2 or less cores, meaning those will have superior performance with the stronger dual core.

Less power, better performance in most games... Am I missing something here?

Sense, made!
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
May 16, 2012 10:11:04 PM

If you are concerned with performance more than efficiency (overclocking a X4 965 makes it sound like you are) you'd be better off saving up a few extra nickels and dimes to get one of the SB/IVB quad cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 10:12:14 PM

What he is trying to say is that the impact to the power bill is minimal both ways between a stock 2120 and a highly OCd Phenom 2.

He assumes the Phenom 2 highly OCd will at least equal the 2120 in 2 core only games and it should win out in 4 core games as well, making this a no brainer for him.

I am not quite sure I agree, but that is the reasoning being discussed.
m
l
May 17, 2012 12:45:48 AM

Raiddinn said:
What he is trying to say is that the impact to the power bill is minimal both ways between a stock 2120 and a highly OCd Phenom 2.

He assumes the Phenom 2 highly OCd will at least equal the 2120 in 2 core only games and it should win out in 4 core games as well, making this a no brainer for him.

I am not quite sure I agree, but that is the reasoning being discussed.

That is exactly my reasoning. And to be honest i don't totally agree either. And yes, I ordered some parts but sent them back because I wasn't sure that I bought the right items. i have shopernner and it doesn't cost me enything to send parts back. I didn't even open them.
m
l
May 17, 2012 1:47:34 AM

Best answer selected by vehlor.
m
l
May 17, 2012 1:48:47 AM

Thanks! at the en of the day I might get g620 with a z68 mobo until i cant get the
i5 xxxxk
m
l
!