Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5-2500k Build Questions: GPU, PSU, Cooling

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2012 6:49:56 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Before 02/05/2012

Budget Range: $1000-$1200 (preferred) BEFORE Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (e.g. StarCraft II, Guild Wars, Battlefield 3, and (perhaps) Crysis), HD Video Playback (either through YouTube/Vimeo or off Sony HandyCam), MS Office, Web Surfing (Facebook, news sites, shopping, etc.)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard & Mouse (I've no idea of current brand, doubtful that it matters, as these particular peripherals can be updated at any time.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.cyberpowerpc.com (I do not trust that I could build a PC myself. Yes, I have seen the guide for PC building stickied in this forum. I still don't trust that I could do it.)

Parts Preferences: Intel i5-2500k processor, Asus P8Z68V-Pro motherboard, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Overclocking: I do not believe so. No.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. I thought I had read that one card with a higher VRAM was better than SLI/Crossfire. Please correct me if this information was incorrect.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (I believe. It's a 40" flatscreen 1080p HDTV. I'm guessing on the resolution.)

Additional Comments: I would like this build to be a strong workhorse for the next 3-5 years (i.e. for a minimum of 3 years, ideally for 5 years). I am unsure about which GPU would be the best choice (performance/economics).

Additional questions are:

1.) Being that I will be air-cooling this PC, is the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 a smart choice?
2.) Should I utilize the "extra case fan upgrade" or the "noise reduction technology" options?
3.) Which power supply would be best?
4.) Understanding the necessity of a SSD in combination with an HDD, how many GBs are minimal?
5.) Is it worth it to integrate a blu-ray player into the system? Should a writer/re-writer be included as well?
6.) Which is better: two graphics cards at 1gb each or one graphics card at 2gb? Similarly, which is preferable for an Intel system: nVidia or Radeon?

Thank you for your input!!

**edited**

Which GPU is recommendable? Also, is a particular PSU better performing than others?
February 1, 2012 7:03:06 PM

1. Cooler master would be a great choice. Read nothing but great reviews on it and for $30 you cant go wrong.

2. You can probably buy after market fan for cheaper. I just bought 3 fans for $20. But you said you dont want to build anything so just check the case you choose to see how many are in there.

3. Depends on your video card and if you want to do sli. Theres a meter on the lft that recommends how much power you need on there site. If you think you might want to ass a card later on, choose two cards and see the power the recommend.

4. You should atleast get a 60gb+ SSD. Windows takes up from about 15-20gb so if you got a 60 you still would have room for games.

5. Blueray is completely up to you and your budget. You can get them for 60 bucks if you ever wanted to add them later on.

6. Higher gb helps at higher resolution. Obviously two graphic cards are going to be better than one no matter what size you put in.

m
l
!