Sign in with
Your question

Best video card for me

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2011 10:03:58 PM

I currently run a
780i sli motherboard EVGA 132-ck-nf78 with 2 260 gtx video cards in SlI.
My processor is a 2.4 Intel core 2 quad
I have a 1000 watt True power quatro power supply
8 gigs of ram.

my question is whats the best card that I can run with this board? I may wanna run sli again with it also but i'm not sure yet.
My brother runs a 560 ti and loves it. Should I just run one of them? Can I run a 2 gig 560? Should I run a single 1 gig card?
How do I know what bit or mhz speed i can run, or can I run any?

thank you for your time :D 

More about : video card

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:18:43 PM

First off, if you want to run a faster card, OC that CPU. You can run any modern card in that board. What is your resolution? What games do you want to play? What is your budget? RAM speed?
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:20:34 PM

PS. I forgot a couple things. I love gaming and I'm looking to be ready for direct x 11.
I wanna spend $100 to $400. I don't wanna get more then my board and processor will handle.
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:24:54 PM

I suggest getting a GTX560ti for now and then save up more to do a complete overhaul.Get a new Ivy Bridge CPU,Mobo and DDR3 RAM.
That CPU and RAM will definitly hinder the GTX560ti when it comes to modern games,the DX11 ones.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:28:21 PM

Your board will be fine. It has PCI-E which will hold any card. You have PCI-E 2.0, so it won't be a problem even if you run in x8 x8. As for the CPU, you should try to get a least 3.2Ghz out of it. You could probably even get 3.8Ghz.
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:31:20 PM

If I'm not answering questions right I'm sorry I'm doing my best. I'm a car guy. I love PC's but I know to ask someone for advise when ya need it lol. I have nvidia sli ram pc2 6400. i usually run a res of 1920 X 1080. In games I turn it up and if it doesn't like it I turn it down. As for games I play WOW, wanna play skyrim and the new Diablo when it's released. I have one of my 260 cards messing up and figure I should upgrade anyway. If I overclock my cpu how do I know whats too much? Just watch my heat?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:34:00 PM

Nah, you should stop booting before you run into heat problems with a third-party heatsink - hope you have one. If you don't, go for it. A Hyper 212+ would do it for $25, and a Mugen 3 would do it better for $50.
You shouldn't actually have any problems with those games with 260 SLI. None of those are too graphically demanding.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:34:06 PM

Watch heat, make sure that setting are not too high so that you are burning out the machine, e.g. voltage, don't put settings too high too quickly. Do you know how to overclock?
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:34:52 PM

Dang you guys are fast thank you. If i got a GTX560ti Which is what I was thinking. How big can I go? Wow thats actually great advise I would be doing a new build in the next few years anyway. TY I really didn't even realize how small my Processor is already.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:35:10 PM

None of those games you listed are DX11.

For games like the ones you listed your current PC should handle them fine.I'm sure even on just one GTX260 you should be able to play medium settings.
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:38:16 PM

No I don't know how to overclock and have always stayed away from it. I mean I'm sure one of the tools I use will do it but I'm not sure that I'm good enough to do that. Unless it's just watching heat I do that always anyway
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:41:20 PM

I actually would like to learn to OC ty for that link
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:41:45 PM

That guide was meant for the novice.I'm sure if you started reading you would get the hang of it.

Are their any other games you play?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:42:09 PM

Well, heat is one thing to stay away from! Use a nice HSF like a 212 + or 212 evo. Those are good cheap fans. Do not let your RAM get pushed too high either. You can look up tutorials on youtube. If I were you, I would just get a GTX 560 ti and save for a new machine, unless you really want to get into overclocking, but you don't seem to want to do that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:43:32 PM

wwolfeman said:
I actually would like to learn to OC ty for that link

Yeah, if I were you, I would shoot for at least 3Gghz with a new cooler. I am sure you can go further though.
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:45:30 PM

I honestly never know what game I'm gonna play. I play AOE online too that game just runs like crap for me also and I don't really know why. As for the d11 I just thought it would be good to have a card so That if a game does come out that requires that, It would be nice to have an updated card. I'm not sure. You guys are great and I thank you all for your time and help
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:47:40 PM

I do have an after market heatsink and fan but I don't remember what it is. It's nothing that nice or special tho
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:51:00 PM

I played modern warfares but i've switched the first person shooters to my Xbox to play with my friends and family. I like the RPG games better on my pc tho. I want the 560 what mhz and bit should I get? I'm sure that makes a big difference seems more money is usually better. Should i got with the 1 gig card

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:53:43 PM

Can you check it? That would be nice to know. Also, you asked about Mhz. Mhz on the card would refer to the core clock, memory speed, and shader clock. The higher, the better. Although, if you don't put the memory high enough, you won't see a performance increase.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 10:54:22 PM

Ye, the 1gb card is good.
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:09:31 PM

HostileDonut said:
Can you check it? That would be nice to know. Also, you asked about Mhz. Mhz on the card would refer to the core clock, memory speed, and shader clock. The higher, the better. Although, if you don't put the memory high enough, you won't see a performance increase.

The fan heat sink is a Foxconn specs are
Specifications Mfr Part Number: NBT-CMI77516B3-C Processors Supported: Intel LGA 775 Processors - Upto 3.4GHz Fan Speed: 2800 ± 10% Air Flow Rate: 45.12 CFM Acoustical Noise: 30 dBA Rating Voltage: 12 V Fan Dimensions: 92 x 92 x 25 mm
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:11:52 PM

HostileDonut said:
Your board will be fine. It has PCI-E which will hold any card. You have PCI-E 2.0, so it won't be a problem even if you run in x8 x8. As for the CPU, you should try to get a least 3.2Ghz out of it. You could probably even get 3.8Ghz.

Wow you can really overclock my cpu that much thats pretty neat. I didn't even know that. Thought maybe just a lil
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2011 12:45:06 AM

wwolfeman said:
Wow you can really overclock my cpu that much thats pretty neat. I didn't even know that. Thought maybe just a lil

Yeah, foxconn is not good. I would get a hyper 212+ or hyper 212 evo. Yeah, the Core 2 Series overclocks great! I actually wouldn't be surprised if you hit 4ghz. Just make sure you have a good HSF.
m
l
!