Cyberpower review 9/10

CapC

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I have listed my system below... in addition to the system (aside from new monitors) I added a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and self installed it.

The good:
I received my PC from Cyber Power last Friday, called a few friends who brought their boxes over and proceeded to get real nerdy over the next few days to stress test my new system.

I played the following games on absolute max settings (absolutely beautiful):
RIFT
Civ 5
HMM 6
Anno 2070
SWTOR
Just Cause

I did not overclock the CPU or GPU as I did not find it necessary (well I did OC them both but reverted back to normal settings as it truly was not necessary).

All of the above titles were played for at least 4 consecutive hours on max settings. CPU temps never broke 32c and GPU temp never broke 72c (this is with fans on auto temps were significantly lower with a manual fan lock at 62).

There is definitely much more room for more push out of this machine but it just isn't necessary.

I am more than satisfied with my system.

The bad: (1 star lost because of this).

Why Cyberpower does it to themselves I don't know. It is not difficult to write an automated program to keep your customers up to date. If they hired even 1 person to deal specifically with customer relations I feel their business would improve drastically.. My biggest and only complaint is the fact that if I had not contacted them myself I would have had no idea on the status of my pc or when to expect it.

It seems some agents are better than others in terms of correspondence with customers. It seems my biggest complaint is a common complaint from many people, if you are spending upwards of $1000 on an investment you are entitled to updates. It has nothing to do with the fact I feel entitled, its common courtesy- and in business courtesy goes a long way.

As I read thread after thread proclaiming the anger and poor customer service you would think an effort would have been made to correct this?

I personally only experienced the poor updates, as far as the long wait times on the phone I never experienced that. I called 5 total times in the month it took for my pc to be built, 2 times my agent was on lunch, both times calling back at the time they told me I was able to reach him. The last time I called I reached him immediately, I spent less than 30 minutes on the phone all in all.

So all in all a good experience, but a few small changes by CP could save them numerous poor reviews or frustrated and/or impatient customers.

System:

Gamer Xtreme 1000 SE (NO MONITOR)
*BASE_PRICE: [+899]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CASUPGRADE: None
CAS: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
ENGRAVING: NONE
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon [+0]
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]
FA_HDD: None
GLASSES: None
HDD2: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+0] (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 4x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+66]
MONITOR3: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+10] (Kingston HyperX)
MB_SRT: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NCSW: None
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+76]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SPEAKERS: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+41] (EVGA Superclocked [+25])

galeener

Distinguished
Yes their in house tracking seems to be hit or miss.
Also you chose the power supply upgrade which seems what most people miss and then have issues with either the xtreme gear supplys or the cyberpower branded supplys .
Its up to each person ordering to research the components of theirs system.
If you tell them to use a known issue laden component they will build it.
This is what the issue turns out to be on most of the cyber power sucks or don't buy from them threads.
I look at it this way they use what you tell them If you built it yourself and used a crappy PSU then had issues then whos really to blame. Same for CP they use what you order.

grmsoul3

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
My experience with Cyberpower was not so great. I purchased a $4000 gaming PC from Cyberpower, expecting to have an awesome machine. I get this computer, all excited, set it up and power it up...waiting...waiting....waiting...(hmm, this is a top of the line machine? My old computer booted up faster than this)....almost three minutes later the login screen shows up. I think, ok, maybe it's because its initial booting (giving them the benefit of the doubt). I'm loading up some programs and the screen goes black...problem with the NVIDIA driver. Okay, so I go and check for updates through Windows and NVIDIA, none, but I download the driver from the site anyway. I go back to installing programs, transferring files, and screen goes black again, same problem, but it comes back almost right away. I continue on and then the computer freezes up on me. I have to reboot. It doesn't start back up, just sits on the load screen. I restart it. This time it starts back up (and oh, no, the boot up was still over two minutes). These problems continue so I call CyberPower up, they tell me they like to try and repair their computers before recommending requesting a refund. So, again, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I agree and send it in for repairs. A month later I get my computer back, where once was excitement, there is now dread. They've changed the motherboard, 4 RAM sticks, the NVIDIA card and new installation of Windows and drivers as well. Set it up, and...same problems...I then call the store I bought it through to get a refund. Luckily they agreed to issue me a refund, but I did have to spend almost $90 to ship the thing back. Without a computer I did try another company to get the computer from, since I personally hate companies like HP and Dell, I decided to go with a company I found from Ironside Computers. I ordered nearly the same computer I got from CyberPower, price was only $50 more, and my overall experience with them was very good. The computer was shipped on time and it worked flawlessly. The only trouble I had was they were out of stock on the SSD I chose, which they called me shortly after to notify me, and I chose another SSD and after that no troubles. Very happy with my purchase with Ironside.

g-unit1111

Titan
Why Cyberpower does it to themselves I don't know. It is not difficult to write an automated program to keep your customers up to date. If they hired even 1 person to deal specifically with customer relations I feel their business would improve drastically.. My biggest and only complaint is the fact that if I had not contacted them myself I would have had no idea on the status of my pc or when to expect it.

Welcome to Cyberpower: We don't care and it shows. :lol:

I don't think I'll ever understand the answer to that question either. Their systems are considered a serious joke among us hardcore system builders. They overcharge for last year's components and include things that just don't make sense on a build - like a liquid cooler for a locked CPU.

It seems some agents are better than others in terms of correspondence with customers. It seems my biggest complaint is a common complaint from many people, if you are spending upwards of $1000 on an investment you are entitled to updates. It has nothing to do with the fact I feel entitled, its common courtesy- and in business courtesy goes a long way.

That's why OEMs are pretty useless anymore. Scratch that - a few of them have great customer service like Origin and Falcon Northwest, but you will be paying big bucks to own their machines. But for the most part - big box OEMs like Cyberpower, who offer very little to almost no technical support for the machines they sell - are useless.

My experience with Cyberpower was not so great. I purchased a $4000 gaming PC from Cyberpower, expecting to have an awesome machine. I get this computer, all excited, set it up and power it up...waiting...waiting....waiting...(hmm, this is a top of the line machine? My old computer booted up faster than this)....almost three minutes later the login screen shows up.

This is one of many horror stories I've read about Cyberpower on this site. You don't pay $4K for a rig only to have it be worse than your previous PC.

Patrico12

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

Almost all the CP horror stories I've heard the customer has purchased the computer pre-built from the store, which isnt always a great idea.

MrPgrass

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
My first CP computer was awesome, a turnkey setup, all I had to do was plug it in and turn it on. That was 4 years ago. Last month I ordered my dream machine that has turned into a nightmare. The speakers were lacking cables, the hot swap bays were not connected. Here are excerpts from the reply I received:

"The reason the hard drives aren't connecting is because we don't wire the hot swap bays unfortunately. We only wire the things necessary to get your configuration to run. If you want to use the hot swap bays, you will need to wire them up."

"We don't provide any cables for the system unless you purchased cables for your order or they are provided by the manufacture of the product for the speakers. Is the cable missing from the manufacture. If so, we can a do replacement, but you will need to send in the entire speaker set/packaging as we don't have extra cables since we only provide the entire set provided by the manufacture. You can also contact Eagle and see if they can send you just the cable. http://eagletechusa.com/pages/contact-us"

Fortunately for me Eagle Tech USA did send me a replacement cable no questions asked. Equally fortunate for me is I spent many years as a Microsoft hardware technician and was able to wire the bays my self, in spite of the fact that 2 of the 6 bays were disabled to make room for the hard drives I ordered with the PC.

I should not have had to do any more than plug in in and slap my hard drives in, if a configuration conflict arises they should have contacted me and let me make the choice. If a case comes standard with hot swap bays or color TV they should work when they get here. I did not pay what I did for the bare minimum of effort.